34 CFR § 222.91 - What requirements must a local educational agency meet to receive a payment under section 7003 of the Act for children residing on Indian lands?
(a) To receive a payment under section 7003 of the Act for children residing on Indian lands, an LEA must -
(1) Meet the application and eligibility requirements in section 7003 and subparts A and C of these regulations;
(2) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, develop and implement policies and procedures in accordance with § 222.94; and
(3) Include in its application for payments under section 7003 -
(i) An assurance that the LEA established these policies and procedures in consultation with and based on information from tribal officials and parents of those children residing on Indian lands who are Indian children, except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section;
(ii) An assurance that the LEA has provided a written response to the comments, concerns and recommendations received through the Indian policies and procedures consultation process, except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section; and
(iii) Either a copy of the policies and procedures, or documentation that the LEA has received a waiver in accordance with the provisions of paragraph (b) of this section.
(b) An LEA is not required to comply with § 222.94 with respect to students from a tribe that has provided the LEA with a waiver that meets the requirements of this paragraph.
(1) A waiver must contain a voluntary written statement from an appropriate tribal official or tribal governing body that -
(i) The LEA need not comply with § 222.94 because the tribe is satisfied with the LEA's provision of educational services to the tribe's students; and
(ii) The tribe was provided a copy of the requirements in § 222.91 and § 222.94, and understands the requirements that are being waived.
(2) The LEA must submit the waiver at the time of application.
(3) The LEA must obtain a waiver from each tribe that has Indian children living on Indian lands claimed by the LEA on its application under section 7003 of the Act. If the LEA only obtains waivers from some, but not all, applicable tribes, the LEA must comply with the requirements of § 222.94 with respect to those tribes that did not agree to waive these requirements.