§ 263.20What definitions apply to the Demonstration Grants for Indian Children program?
The following definitions apply to the Demonstration Grants for Indian Children program:
Federally supported elementary or secondary school for Indian students means an elementary or secondary school that is operated or funded, through a contract or grant, by the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
Indian means an individual who is—
(1) A member of an Indian tribe or band, as membership is defined by the Indian tribe or band, including any tribe or band terminated since 1940, and any tribe or band recognized by the State in which the tribe or band resides;
(2) A descendant of a parent or grandparent who meets the requirements described in paragraph (1) of this definition;
(3) Considered by the Secretary of the Interior to be an Indian for any purpose;
(4) An Eskimo, Aleut, or other Alaska Native; or
(5) A member of an organized Indian group that received a grant under the Indian Education Act of 1988 as it was in effect October 19, 1994.
Indian institution of higher education means an accredited college or university within the United States cited in section 532 of the Equity in Educational Land-Grant Status Act of 1994, any other institution that qualifies for funding under the Tribally Controlled College or University Assistance Act of 1978, and the Navajo Community College, authorized in the Navajo Community College Assistance Act of 1978.
Indian organization means an organization that:
(1) Is legally established:
(i) By tribal or inter-tribal charter or in accordance with State or tribal law; and
(ii) With appropriate constitution, by-laws, or articles of incorporation;
(2) Has as its primary purpose the promotion of the education of Indians;
(3) Is controlled by a governing board, the majority of which is Indian;
(4) If located on an Indian reservation, operates with the sanction or by charter of the governing body of that reservation;
(5) Is neither an organization or subdivision of, nor under the direct control of, any institution of higher education; and
(6) Is not an agency of State or local government.
Professional development activities means in-service training offered to enhance the skills and abilities of individuals that may be part of, but not exclusively, the activities provided in a Demonstration Grants for Indian Children program.