34 CFR § 300.194 - Show cause hearing.
(a) If a show cause hearing is requested, the Secretary—
(1) Notifies the SEA and affected LEA or other public agency, and other appropriate public and private school officials of the time and place for the hearing;
(2) Designates a person to conduct the show cause hearing. The designee must not have had any responsibility for the matter brought for a hearing; and
(3) Notifies the SEA, LEA or other public agency, and representatives of private schools that they may be represented by legal counsel and submit oral or written evidence and arguments at the hearing.
(b) At the show cause hearing, the designee considers matters such as—
(1) The necessity for implementing a by-pass;
(2) Possible factual errors in the written notice of intent to implement a by-pass; and
(3) The objections raised by public and private school representatives.
(c) The designee may regulate the course of the proceedings and the conduct of parties during the pendency of the proceedings. The designee takes all steps necessary to conduct a fair and impartial proceeding, to avoid delay, and to maintain order.
(d) The designee has no authority to require or conduct discovery.
(e) The designee may interpret applicable statutes and regulations, but may not waive them or rule on their validity.
(f) The designee arranges for the preparation, retention, and, if appropriate, dissemination of the record of the hearing.
(g) Within 10 days after the hearing, the designee—
(1) Indicates that a decision will be issued on the basis of the existing record; or
(2) Requests further information from the SEA, LEA, other public agency, representatives of private schools or Department officials.