34 CFR 364.2 - What is the purpose of the programs authorized by chapter 1 of title VII?
The purpose of the SILS and CIL programs authorized by chapter 1 of title VII of the Act is to promote a philosophy of independent living (IL), including a philosophy of consumer control, peer support, self-help, self-determination, equal access, and individual and system advocacy, to maximize the leadership, empowerment, independence, and productivity of individuals with significant disabilities, and to promote and maximize the integration and full inclusion of individuals with significant disabilities into the mainstream of American society by providing financial assistance to States -
(a) For providing, expanding, and improving the provision of IL services;
(b) To develop and support statewide networks of centers for independent living (centers); and
(c) For improving working relationships among -
(1) SILS programs;
(3) Statewide Independent Living Councils (SILCs) established under section 705 of the Act;
(5) Client assistance programs (CAPs) receiving assistance under section 112 of the Act;
(6) Programs funded under other titles of the Act;
(7) Programs funded under other Federal laws; and
(8) Programs funded through non-Federal sources.