34 CFR 600.4 - Institution of higher education.
(a) An institution of higher education is a public or private nonprofit educational institution that -
(1) Is in a State, or for purposes of the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Work-Study, and Federal TRIO programs may also be located in the Federated States of Micronesia or the Marshall Islands;
(2) Admits as regular students only persons who -
(i) Have a high school diploma;
(ii) Have the recognized equivalent of a high school diploma; or
(iii) Are beyond the age of compulsory school attendance in the State in which the institution is physically located;
(3) Is legally authorized to provide an educational program beyond secondary education in the State in which the institution is physically located in accordance with § 600.9;
(i) Provides an educational program -
(A) For which it awards an associate, baccalaureate, graduate, or professional degree;
(B) That is at least a two-academic-year program acceptable for full credit toward a baccalaureate degree; or
(C) That is at least a one academic year training program that leads to a certificate, or other nondegree recognized credential, and prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation; and
(ii) May provide a comprehensive transition and postsecondary program, as described in 34 CFR part 668, subpart O; and
(5) Is -
(i) Accredited or preaccredited; or
(ii) Approved by a State agency listed in the Federal Register in accordance with 34 CFR part 603, if the institution is a public postsecondary vocational educational institution that seeks to participate only in Federal student assistance programs.
(b) An institution is physically located in a State if it has a campus or other instructional site in that State.
(c) The Secretary does not recognize the accreditation or preaccreditation of an institution unless the institution agrees to submit any dispute involving the final denial, withdrawal, or termination of accreditation to initial arbitration before initiating any other legal action.
Title 34 published on 2015-07-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 34 CFR Part 600 after this date.
- 2 CFR 3485.1016 — Title IV, HEA Participant.
- 14 CFR 61.1 — Applicability and Definitions.
- 34 CFR 668.1 — Scope.
- 34 CFR 86.7 — What Definitions Apply to This Part?
- 34 CFR 662.7 — What Definitions Apply to This Program?
- 34 CFR 682.200 — Definitions.
- 34 CFR 663.7 — What Definitions Apply to This Program?
- 48 CFR 952.226-70 — Subcontracting Goals Under Section 3021(a) of the Energy Policy Act of 1992.
- 48 CFR 952.226-73 — Energy Policy Act Target Group Certification.
- 48 CFR 952.226-71 — Utilization of Energy Policy Act Target Entities.
- 48 CFR 952.226-72 — Energy Policy Act Subcontracting Goals and Reporting Requirements.