34 CFR 600.4 - Institution of higher education.
(a) An institution of higher education is a public or private nonprofit educational institution that -
(1) Is in a State, or for purposes of the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Work-Study, and Federal TRIO programs may also be located in the Federated States of Micronesia or the Marshall Islands;
(2) Admits as regular students only persons who -
(i) Have a high school diploma;
(ii) Have the recognized equivalent of a high school diploma; or
(iii) Are beyond the age of compulsory school attendance in the State in which the institution is physically located;
(3) Is legally authorized to provide an educational program beyond secondary education in the State in which the institution is physically located in accordance with § 600.9;
(i) Provides an educational program -
(A) For which it awards an associate, baccalaureate, graduate, or professional degree;
(B) That is at least a two-academic-year program acceptable for full credit toward a baccalaureate degree; or
(C) That is at least a one academic year training program that leads to a certificate, or other nondegree recognized credential, and prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation; and
(ii) May provide a comprehensive transition and postsecondary program, as described in 34 CFR part 668, subpart O; and
(5) Is -
(i) Accredited or preaccredited; or
(ii) Approved by a State agency listed in the Federal Register in accordance with 34 CFR part 603, if the institution is a public postsecondary vocational educational institution that seeks to participate only in Federal student assistance programs.
(b) An institution is physically located in a State if it has a campus or other instructional site in that State.
(c) The Secretary does not recognize the accreditation or preaccreditation of an institution unless the institution agrees to submit any dispute involving the final denial, withdrawal, or termination of accreditation to initial arbitration before initiating any other legal action.
Title 34 published on 13-Sep-2017 03:59
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 34 CFR Part 600 after this date.
- 34 CFR 600.2 — Definitions.
- 34 CFR 600.55 — Additional Criteria for Determining Whether a Foreign Graduate Medical School Is Eligible to Apply to Participate in the Direct Loan Program.
- 34 CFR 600.11 — Special Rules Regarding Institutional Accreditation or Preaccreditation.
- 34 CFR 600.31 — Change in Ownership Resulting in a Change in Control for Private Nonprofit, Private For-Profit and Public Institutions.
- 34 CFR 600.32 — Eligibility of Additional Locations.
- 34 CFR 600.20 — Notice and Application Procedures for Establishing, Reestablishing, Maintaining, or Expanding Institutional Eligibility and Certification.
- 34 CFR 600.54 — Criteria for Determining Whether a Foreign Institution Is Eligible to Apply to Participate in the Direct Loan Program.
- 34 CFR 600.7 — Conditions of Institutional Ineligibility.
- 34 CFR 600.9 — State Authorization.
- 34 CFR 682.200 — Definitions.
- 34 CFR 692.4 — What Definitions Apply to the LEAP Program?