34 CFR 668.163 - Maintaining and accounting for funds.
(1) Bank or investment account. An institution must maintain title IV, HEA program funds in a bank or investment account that is Federally insured or secured by collateral of value reasonably equivalent to the amount of those funds.
(2) For each bank or investment account that includes title IV, HEA program funds, an institution must clearly identify that title IV, HEA program funds are maintained in that account by -
(i) Including in the name of each account the phrase “Federal Funds”; or
(A) Notifying the bank or investment company of the accounts that contain title IV, HEA program funds and retaining a record of that notice; and
(B) Except for a public institution, filing with the appropriate State or municipal government entity a UCC-1 statement disclosing that the account contains Federal funds and maintaining a copy of that statement.
(b) Separate bank account. The Secretary may require an institution to maintain title IV, HEA program funds in a separate bank or investment account that contains no other funds if the Secretary determines that the institution failed to comply with -
(1) The requirements in this subpart;
(2) The recordkeeping and reporting requirements in subpart B of this part; or
(3) Applicable program regulations.
(c) Interest-bearing or investment account.
(1) An institution must maintain the Fund described in § 674.8(a) of the Federal Perkins Loan Program regulations in an interest-bearing bank account or investment account consisting predominately of low-risk, income-producing securities, such as obligations issued or guaranteed by the United States. Interest or income earned on Fund proceeds are retained by the institution as part of the Fund.
(2) Except as provided in paragraph (c)(3) of this section, an institution must maintain Direct Loan, Federal Pell Grant, ACG, National SMART Grant, TEACH Grant, FSEOG, and FWS program funds in an interest-bearing bank account or an investment account as described in paragraph (c)(1) of this section.
(3) An institution does not have to maintain Direct Loan, Federal Pell Grant, ACG, National SMART Grant, TEACH Grant, FSEOG, and FWS program funds in an interest-bearing bank account or an investment account for an award year if -
(i) The institution drew down less than a total of $3 million of those funds in the prior award year and anticipates that it will not draw down more than that amount in the current award year;
(ii) The institution demonstrates by its cash management practices that it will not earn over $250 on those funds during the award year; or
(iii) The institution requests those funds from the Secretary under the just-in-time payment method.
(4) If an institution maintains Direct Loan, Federal Pell Grant, ACG, National SMART Grant, TEACH Grant, FSEOG, and FWS program funds in an interest-bearing or investment account, the institution may keep the initial $250 it earns on those funds during an award year. By June 30 of that award year, the institution must remit to the Secretary any earnings over $250.
(d) Accounting and internal control systems and financial records.
(1) An institution must maintain accounting and internal control systems that -
(i) Identify the cash balance of the funds of each title IV, HEA program that are included in the institution's bank or investment account as readily as if those program funds were maintained in a separate account; and
(ii) Identify the earnings on title IV, HEA program funds maintained in the institution's bank or investment account.
(2) An institution must maintain its financial records in accordance with the provisions under § 668.24.
(e) Standard of conduct. An institution must exercise the level of care and diligence required of a fiduciary with regard to maintaining and investing title IV, HEA program funds.
Title 34 published on 2015-07-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 34 CFR Part 668 after this date.