34 CFR § 668.19 - Financial aid history.
(a) Before an institution may disburse title IV, HEA program funds to a student who previously attended another eligible institution, the institution must use information it obtains from the Secretary, through the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) or its successor system, to determine -
(1) Whether the student is in default on any title IV, HEA program loan;
(2) Whether the student owes an overpayment on any title IV, HEA program grant or Federal Perkins Loan;
(3) For the award year for which a Federal Pell Grant, an ACG, a National SMART Grant, or a TEACH Grant is requested, the student's Scheduled Federal Pell Grant, ACG, National SMART Grant, or a TEACH Grant Award and the amount of Federal Pell Grant, ACG, National SMART Grant, or a TEACH Grant funds disbursed to the student;
(4) The outstanding principal balance of loans made to the student under each of the title IV, HEA loan programs; and
(5) For the academic year for which title IV, HEA aid is requested, the amount of, and period of enrollment for, loans made to the student under each of the title IV, HEA loan programs.
(1) If a student transfers from one institution to another institution during the same award year, the institution to which the student transfers must request from the Secretary, through NSLDS, updated information about that student so it can make the determinations required under paragraph (a) of this section; and
(2) The institution may not make a disbursement to that student for seven days following its request, unless it receives the information from NSLDS in response to its request or obtains that information directly by accessing NSLDS, and the information it receives allows it to make that disbursement.