34 CFR 674.52 - Cancellation procedures.
(a)Application for cancellation. To qualify for cancellation of a loan, a borrower shall submit to the institution to which the loan is owed, by the date that the institution establishes, both a written request for cancellation and any documentation required by the institution to demonstrate that the borrower meets the conditions for the cancellation requested.
(1) An institution may refuse a request for cancellation based on a claim of simultaneously teaching in two or more schools or institutions if it cannot determine easily from the documentation supplied by the borrower that the teaching is full-time. However, it shall grant the cancellation if one school official certifies that a teacher worked full-time for a full academic year.
(2) An institution may refuse a request for cancellation based on a claim of simultaneous employment as a nurse or medical technician in two or more facilities if it cannot determine easily from the documentation supplied by the borrower that the combined employment is full-time. However, it shall grant the cancellation if one facility official certifies that a nurse or medical technician worked full-time for a full year.
(c)Break in service.
(1) If the borrower is unable to complete an academic year of eligible teaching service due to a condition that is covered under the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA) ( 29 U.S.C. 2601, et seq.), the borrower still qualifies for the cancellation if -
(i) The borrower completes one half of the academic year; and
(ii) The borrower's employer considers the borrower to have fulfilled his or her contract requirements for the academic year for purposes of salary increases, tenure, and retirement.
(2) If the borrower is unable to complete a year of eligible service under §§ 674.56, 674.57, 674.59, or 674.60 due to a condition that is covered under the FMLA, the borrower still qualifies for the cancellation if the borrower completes at least six consecutive months of eligible service.
(d)Cancellation of a defaulted loan.
(1) Except with regard to cancellation on account of the death or disability of the borrower, a borrower whose defaulted loan has not been accelerated may qualify for a cancellation by complying with the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section.
(2) A borrower whose defaulted loan has been accelerated -
(i) May qualify for a loan cancellation for services performed before the date of acceleration; and
(ii) Cannot qualify for a cancellation for services performed on or after the date of acceleration.
(3) An institution shall grant a request for discharge on account of the death or disability of the borrower, or, if the borrower is the spouse of an eligible public servant as defined in § 674.64(a)(1), on account of the death or disability of the borrower's spouse, without regard to the repayment status of the loan.
(e)Concurrent deferment period. The Secretary considers a Perkins Loan, NDSL or Defense Loan borrower's loan deferment under § 674.34(c) to run concurrently with any period for which cancellation under §§ 674.53, 674.54, 674.55, 674.56, 674.57, 674.58, 674.59, and 674.60 is granted.
(2) For loans made on or after July 1, 1993, the Secretary considers a borrower's loan deferment under § 674.34 to run concurrently with any period for which a cancellation under §§ 674.53, 674.56, 674.57, or 674.58 is granted.
(f)National community service. No borrower who has received a benefit under subtitle D of title I of the National and Community Service Act of 1990 may receive a cancellation under this subpart.
(g)Switching cancellation categories. A borrower who qualifies for a cancellation under one of the cancellation categories in §§ 674.53, 674.56, 674.57, or 674.59 receives cancellation of 15 percent of the original principal for the first and second years of qualifying service, 20 percent of the original principal for the third and fourth years of qualifying service, and 30 percent of the original principal for the fifth year of qualifying service. If, after the first, second, third, or fourth complete year of qualifying service -
(1) The borrower switches to a position that qualifies the borrower for cancellation under a different cancellation category under §§ 674.53, 674.56, 674.57, or 674.59, the borrower's cancellation rate progression continues from the last year the borrower received a cancellation under the former cancellation category; or
(2) The borrower switches to a position that qualifies the borrower for cancellation under a different cancellation category under §§ 674.58 or 674.60, the borrower's cancellation rate progression under the new cancellation category begins at the year one cancellation rates specified in §§ 674.58(b) or 674.60(b), respectively.
Title 34 published on 2015-12-04
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 34 CFR Part 674 after this date.