34 CFR § 682.412 - Consequences of the failure of a borrower or student to establish eligibility.
(a) The lender shall immediately send to the borrower a final demand letter meeting the requirements of § 682.411(f) when it learns and can substantiate that the borrower or the student on whose behalf a parent has borrowed, without the lender or school's knowledge at the time the loan was made, provided false or erroneous information or took actions that caused the student or borrower -
(1) To be ineligible for all or a portion of a loan made under this part;
(2) To receive a Stafford loan subject to payment of Federal interest benefits for which he or she was ineligible; or
(3) To receive loan proceeds for a period of enrollment from which he or she has withdrawn or been expelled prior to the first day of classes or during which he or she failed to attend school and has not paid those funds to the school or repaid them to the lender.
(b) The lender shall neither bill the Secretary for nor be entitled to interest benefits on a loan after it learns that one of the conditions described in paragraph (a) of this section exists with respect to the loan.
(c) In the final demand letter transmitted under paragraph (a) of this section, the lender shall demand that within 30 days from the date the letter is mailed the borrower repay in full any principal amount for which the borrower is ineligible and any accrued interest, including interest and all special allowance paid by the Secretary.
(1) On its next quarterly interest billing submitted under § 682.305, refund to the Secretary the interest benefits and special allowance repaid by the borrower and all other interest benefits and special allowance previously paid by the Secretary on the ineligible portion of the loan; and
(2) Treat that payment of the principal amount of the ineligible portion of the loan as a prepayment of principal.
(1) With its next quarterly interest billing submitted under § 682.305, refund to the Secretary the amount of the interest benefits received from the Secretary on the ineligible portion of the loan, whether or not repaid by the borrower; and