34 CFR 75.200 - How applications for new grants and cooperative agreements are selected for funding; standards for use of cooperative agreements.
(a)Direct grant programs. The Department administers two kinds of direct grant programs. A direct grant program is either a discretionary grant or a formula grant program.
(b)Discretionary grant programs.
(1) A discretionary grant program is one that permits the Secretary to use discretionary judgment in selecting applications for funding.
(2) The Secretary uses selection criteria to evaluate the applications submitted for new grants under a discretionary grant program.
(3) To evaluate the applications for new grants under the program the Secretary may use:
(i) Selection criteria established under § 75.209.
(ii) Selection criteria in program-specific regulations.
(iii) Selection criteria established under § 75.210.
(iv) Any combination of criteria from paragraphs (b)(3)(i), (b)(3)(ii), and (b)(3)(iii) of this section.
(4) The Secretary may award a cooperative agreement instead of a grant if the Secretary determines that substantial involvement between the Department and the recipient is necessary to carry out a collaborative project.
(5) The Secretary uses the selection procedures in this subpart to select recipients of cooperative agreements.
(c)Formula grant programs.
(1) A formula grant program is one that entitles certain applicants to receive grants if they meet the requirements of the program. Applicants do not compete with each other for the funds, and each grant is either for a set amount or for an amount determined under a formula.
(2) The Secretary applies the program statute and regulations to fund projects under a formula grant program.
Title 34 published on 2015-12-04
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 34 CFR Part 75 after this date.
- 34 CFR 611.3 — What Procedures Does the Secretary Use to Award a Grant?
- 34 CFR 263.6 — How Does the Secretary Evaluate Applications for the Professional Development Program?
- 34 CFR 75.109 — Changes to Application; Number of Copies.
- 34 CFR 75.105 — Annual Priorities.
- 34 CFR 75.215 — How the Department Selects a New Project: Purpose of §§ 75.216-75.222.
- 34 CFR 75.1 — Programs to Which Part 75 Applies.
- 34 CFR 75.262 — Conversion of a Grant or a Cooperative Agreement.
- 34 CFR 75.230 — How the Department Makes a Grant; Purpose of §§ 75.231-75.236.