§ 8.1 What is the scope and applicability of this part?
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, this part establishes the procedures to be followed when the Department or any employee of the Department receives a demand for -
(1) Testimony by an employee concerning -
(i) Records contained in the files of the Department;
(ii) Information relating to records contained in the files of the Department; or
(iii) Information or records acquired or produced by the employee in the course of his or her official duties or because of the employee's official status; or
(2) The production or disclosure of any information or records referred to in paragraph (a)(1) of this section.
(b) This part does not create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable by any person against the Department.
(c) This part does not apply to -
(1) Any proceeding in which the United States is a party before an adjudicative authority;
(2) A demand for testimony or records made by either House of Congress or, to the extent of matter within its jurisdiction, any committee or subcommittee of Congress; or
(3) An appearance by an employee in his or her private capacity in a legal proceeding in which the employee's testimony does not relate to the mission or functions of the Department.