36 CFR 1226.20 - How do agencies temporarily extend retention periods?
(a) Agencies must secure NARA written approval to retain records series or systems that are eligible for destruction under NARA-approved schedules except when:
(1) The agency has requested a change in the records schedule in accordance with § 1225.26 of this subchapter, in which case the agency is authorized to retain records eligible for destruction until the new SF 115 is approved;
(2) The records will be needed for less than one year; or
(3) A court order requires retention of the records.
(b) To request an extension, agencies must send a letter to the National Archives and Records Administration, Modern Records Programs (NWM), 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740-6001, phone number (301) 837-1738. Along with a justification, the request must include:
(1) A concise description of the records series for which the extension is requested.
(2) A citation to the agency records schedule or the GRS currently governing disposition of the records;
(3) A statement of the estimated period of time that the records will be required; and
(4) For records in the agency's custody, a statement of the current and proposed physical location of the records.
(c) Agencies must ensure that records in records storage facilities are retained for the duration of the extension.