36 CFR 1251.10 - What are the filing requirements for a demand for documents or testimony?
(a) Your demand must be in writing and must be served on the appropriate party as identified in § 1251.8.
(c) Your written demand (other than a demand pursuant to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure in a case in which NARA is a party, in which case you must comply with the requirements of that rule) must contain the following information:
(1) The caption of the legal proceeding, docket number, and name and address of the court or other authority involved;
(2) A copy of the complaint or equivalent document setting forth the assertions in the case and any other pleading or document necessary to show relevance;
(3) A list of categories of records sought, a detailed description of how the information sought is relevant to the issues in the legal proceeding, and a specific description of the substance of the testimony or records sought;
(4) A statement as to how the need for the information outweighs the need to maintain any confidentiality of the information and outweighs the burden on NARA to produce the records or provide testimony;
(5) A statement indicating that the information sought is not available from another source, from other persons or entities, or from the testimony of someone other than a NARA employee, such as a retained expert;
(8) The name, address, and telephone number of counsel to each party in the case; and
(e) Your demand (other than a demand pursuant to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure in a case in which NARA is a party, in which case you must comply with the requirements of that rule) should be submitted at least 45 days before the date that records or testimony is required. Demands submitted in less than 45 days before records or testimony is required must be accompanied by a written explanation stating the reasons for the late request and the reasons for expedited processing.
(g) The information collection contained in this section has been approved by the Office of Management and Budget under the Paperwork Reduction Act under the control number 3095-0038.