36 CFR 1256.58 - Information related to law enforcement investigations.
(a) In accordance with 5 U.S.C. 552(b)(7), NARA will withhold records compiled for law enforcement purposes. Unless otherwise determined by the Archivist in accordance with paragraph (b) of this section, records compiled for law enforcement purposes may be disclosed only if all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The release of the information does not interfere with law enforcement proceedings;
(2) The release of the information would not deprive a person of a right to a fair trial or an impartial adjudication;
(3) The release of the information would not constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy;
(4) Confidential sources and information provided by a confidential source are not revealed;
(5) Confidential investigation techniques are not described; and
(6) Release of the information would not endanger the life or physical safety of any person.
(b) The Archivist of the United States may determine that this general restriction does not apply to specific records because enough time has passed that:
(1) The safety of persons is not endangered, and
(2) The public interest in disclosure outweighs the continued need for confidentiality.