36 CFR 25.2 - License.
(a) No person shall be permitted to offer his services or to act as a guide unless licensed for that purpose by the superintendent. Any person desiring to become a licensed guide shall make application to the superintendent in writing for authority to take the examination for a license as guide.
(b) Guides shall be of good character, in good physical condition, honest, intelligent, tactful, and of good repute. They must be thoroughly familiar with the history of the events which the park commemorates and with the location of all memorials. It is their duty to escort visitors to the various parts of the park and point out different historical features. The story of the guides shall be limited to the historical outlines approved by the superintendent and shall be free from praise or censure.
(c) Examinations will be held at parks where a licensed guide service is authorized, at times to be designated by the Director of the National Park Service, for the purpose of securing a list of eligibles for such service. The examination will consist of an investigation of the character, reputation, intelligence, and ability of the applicants, and of questions designed to test their knowledge of the history of the battle, or features of historical interest, the markings of the park, the rules and regulations promulgated for the government of the park, and the regulations governing the guide service. Examination questions will be prepared under the direction of the Director of the National Park Service, who will likewise supervise the marking of examination papers and the rating of applicants.
(d) The names of applicants who successfully pass the examination will be placed on a list of eligibles and selected in accordance with their relative standing.
____________, having successfully passed the examination prescribed for license, is hereby licensed to offer his service as a guide to visitors. This license is issued subject to the condition that the licensee shall comply with all the rules and regulations prescribed for guide service by the Secretary of the Interior and with the prescribed schedule of rates, copies of all of which have been furnished to him.
This license will be renewed at the expiration of one year from the date of issue, provided the rules above-mentioned have been fully complied with and services rendered satisfactorily.
Failure to act as a guide for any period exceeding 30 days between June 1 and August 31 automatically suspends this license. Renewal under these conditions will only be made following proper application to and approval by the park superintendent. During other times of heavy visitation, and especially on week ends and holidays, any and all guides are subject to call for duty unless excused by the park superintendent or his representative.
____________, having successfully passed the examination prescribed for license, is hereby licensed to offer service as a guide to visitors. This license is issued subject to the condition that the licensee shall comply with all the rules and regulations prescribed for guide service by the Secretary of the Interior, copies of which have been furnished to him.
This license shall continue in effect for a period of ____ days beginning ____ unless revoked prior to the expiration of such period for failure to comply with the condition set out herein.
(g) Before being issued a license to act as a guide, each applicant will be required to subscribe to the following agreement:
For and in consideration of the issuance to me a license to act as guide, I hereby accept and agree to observe fully the following conditions:
1. To abide by and observe the laws and all rules and regulations promulgated for the government of the park and for the regulation of guide service.
2. In case of difference of opinion as to the interpretation of any law, rule, or regulation, to accept the decision of the superintendent.
3. To accord proper respect to the park rangers in their enforcement of the rules and regulations.
4. To require drivers of all vehicles, while under my conduct, to observe the park rules and regulations.
5. To be watchful to prevent damage to, or destruction of, park property or acts of vandalism affecting monuments, buildings, fences, or natural features of the park, to report any such damage, destruction, or vandalism which I may observe to the nearest available ranger without delay, and to furnish him with all information in my possession tending to identify the offenders and assist in their apprehension and punishment.
6. To demand of visitors not more than the authorized fees for guide service and, when employed, to render service to the best of my ability.
7. To advise visitors who employ me, in advance, the length of time needed for a trip and its cost and, if visitors desire a shortened tour, to arrange for such service as may suit their convenience.
8. (a) Not to operate for hire any passenger vehicle or other vehicle of any kind, while pursuing the vocation of guide or wearing a guide's badge or uniform.
(b) Not to operate a visitor's motor vehicle unless I hold a valid motor vehicle operator's license issued by the State in which the national military park is located.
(c) Not to charge an extra fee for operating a visitor's motor vehicle.
9. In the event my license should be suspended or revoked by the superintendent, to refrain from offering my services or pursuing the vocation of guide, pending appeal to and decision of the Director of the National Park Service.
10. To return the license and official badge without delay to the superintendent should my license be revoked or suspended for more than 5 days or upon abandoning the occupation of guide.
11. While wearing the badge of a guide or any uniform or part of a uniform indicating me to be a guide, I will not act as agent, solicitor, representative, or runner for any business or enterprise whatever (except in offering my services as a guide to visitors), nor solicit nor accept from any person, firm, association, or corporation any fee, commission, or gratuity for recommending their goods, wares, or services.