36 CFR 3.12 - May I use a vessel to tow a person for water skiing or other similar activities?
(b) Towing a person using a parasail, hang-glider or other airborne device may be allowed only in accordance with a permit issued by the superintendent under § 1.6 of this chapter.
(c) Where towing is designated, the following conditions apply:
(1) Towing is allowed only between the hours of sunrise and sunset.
(2) In addition to the boat operator, a person at least 12 years of age must be present to observe the action of the person being towed.
(3) A person being towed must wear a United States Coast Guard approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD.
(4) A person being towed may not commit any act in a manner that endangers, or is likely to endanger, any person or damage property.
(5) Operating a vessel that does not have the capacity to carry the person(s) being towed in addition to the operator and observer is prohibited.
(6) No person shall operate a power driven vessel using a tow rope 20 feet or less in length when towing a person.