37 CFR 1.136 - Extensions of time.
(1) If an applicant is required to reply within a nonstatutory or shortened statutory time period, applicant may extend the time period for reply up to the earlier of the expiration of any maximum period set by statute or five months after the time period set for reply, if a petition for an extension of time and the fee set in § 1.17(a) are filed, unless:
(i) Applicant is notified otherwise in an Office action;
(2) The date on which the petition and the fee have been filed is the date for purposes of determining the period of extension and the corresponding amount of the fee. The expiration of the time period is determined by the amount of the fee paid. A reply must be filed prior to the expiration of the period of extension to avoid abandonment of the application ( § 1.135), but in no situation may an applicant reply later than the maximum time period set by statute, or be granted an extension of time under paragraph (b) of this section when the provisions of paragraph (a) of this section are available.
(3) A written request may be submitted in an application that is an authorization to treat any concurrent or future reply, requiring a petition for an extension of time under this paragraph for its timely submission, as incorporating a petition for extension of time for the appropriate length of time. An authorization to charge all required fees, fees under § 1.17, or all required extension of time fees will be treated as a constructive petition for an extension of time in any concurrent or future reply requiring a petition for an extension of time under this paragraph for its timely submission. Submission of the fee set forth in § 1.17(a) will also be treated as a constructive petition for an extension of time in any concurrent reply requiring a petition for an extension of time under this paragraph for its timely submission.
(b) When a reply cannot be filed within the time period set for such reply and the provisions of paragraph (a) of this section are not available, the period for reply will be extended only for sufficient cause and for a reasonable time specified. Any request for an extension of time under this paragraph must be filed on or before the day on which such reply is due, but the mere filing of such a request will not effect any extension under this paragraph. In no situation can any extension carry the date on which reply is due beyond the maximum time period set by statute. Any request under this paragraph must be accompanied by the petition fee set forth in § 1.17(g).
(c) If an applicant is notified in a “Notice of Allowability” that an application is otherwise in condition for allowance, the following time periods are not extendable if set in the “Notice of Allowability” or in an Office action having a mail date on or after the mail date of the “Notice of Allowability”:
(1) The period for submitting the inventor's oath or declaration;
(2) The period for submitting formal drawings set under § 1.85(c); and
(3) The period for making a deposit set under § 1.809(c).
(d) See § 1.550(c) for extensions of time in ex parte reexamination proceedings, § 1.956 for extensions of time in inter partes reexamination proceedings; §§ 41.4(a) and 41.121(a)(3) of this chapter for extensions of time in contested cases before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board; § 42.5(c) of this chapter for extensions of time in trials before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board; and § 90.3 of this chapter for extensions of time to appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit or to commence a civil action.
- 37 CFR 1.53 — Application Number, Filing Date, and Completion of Application.
- 37 CFR 1.1051 — Relief From Prescribed Time Limits.
- 37 CFR 1.137 — Revival of Abandoned Application, or Terminated or Limited Reexamination Prosecution.
- 37 CFR 41.39 — Examiner's Answer.
- 37 CFR 1.495 — Entering the National Stage in the United States of America.
- 37 CFR 1.85 — Corrections to Drawings.
- 37 CFR 1.97 — Filing of Information Disclosure Statement.
- 37 CFR 1.28 — Refunds When Small Entity Status Is Later Established; How Errors in Small Entity Status Are Excused.
- 37 CFR 1.17 — Patent Application and Reexamination Processing Fees.
- 37 CFR 1.741 — Complete Application Given a Filing Date; Petition Procedure.
- 37 CFR 41.52 — Rehearing.
- 37 CFR 41.50 — Decisions and Other Actions by the Board.
- 37 CFR 1.29 — Micro Entity Status.
- 37 CFR 1.1067 — Title, Description, and Inventor's Oath or Declaration.
- 37 CFR 1.135 — Abandonment for Failure to Reply Within Time Period.
- 37 CFR 1.740 — Formal Requirements for Application for Extension of Patent Term; Correction of Informalities.
- 37 CFR 41.40 — Tolling of Time Period to File a Reply Brief.
- 37 CFR 41.45 — Appeal Forwarding Fee.
- 37 CFR 41.31 — Appeal to Board.
- 37 CFR 41.41 — Reply Brief.
- 37 CFR 41.37 — Appeal Brief.
- 37 CFR 1.809 — Examination Procedures.
- 37 CFR 1.705 — Patent Term Adjustment Determination.
- 37 CFR 41.47 — Oral Hearing.
- 37 CFR 1.750 — Determination of Eligibility for Extension of Patent Term.
- 37 CFR 41.4 — Timeliness.