37 CFR § 401.11 - Appeals.
(a) As used in this section, the term standard clause means the clause at § 401.14 of this part and the clauses previously prescribed by either OMB Circular A-124 or OMB Bulletin 81-22.
(b) The agency official initially authorized to take any of the following actions shall provide the contractor with a written statement of the basis for his or her action at the time the action is taken, including any relevant facts that were relied upon in taking the action.
(1) A refusal to grant an extension under paragraph (c)(4) of the standard clauses.
(2) A request for a conveyance of title under paragraph (d) of the standard clauses.
(3) A refusal to grant a waiver under paragraph (i) of the standard clauses.
(4) A refusal to approve an assignment under paragraph (k)(1) of the standard clauses.
(5) A refusal to grant an extension of the exclusive license period under paragraph (k)(2) of the clauses prescribed by either OMB Circular A-124 or OMB Bulletin 81-22.
(c) Each agency shall establish and publish procedures under which any of the agency actions listed in paragraph (b) of this section may be appealed to the head of the agency or designee. Review at this level shall consider both the factual and legal basis for the actions and its consistency with the policy and objectives of 35 U.S.C. 200-206.
(d) Appeals procedures established under paragraph (c) of this section shall include administrative due process procedures and standards for fact-finding at least comparable to those set forth in § 401.6 (e) through (g) whenever there is a dispute as to the factual basis for an agency request for a conveyance of title under paragraph (d) of the standard clause, including any dispute as to whether or not an invention is a subject invention.
(e) To the extent that any of the actions described in paragraph (b) of this section are subject to appeal under the Contract Dispute Act, the procedures under the Act will satisfy the requirements of paragraphs (c) and (d) of this section.