(a)General. Parking spaces at VA medical facilities shall only be provided under the following conditions:
(1) VA and its employees shall not be liable for any damages to vehicles (or their contents) parked in VA parking facilities, unless such damages are directly caused by such employees acting in the course of their VA employment.
(2) Parking facilities at VA medical facilities shall only be made available at each medical facility for such periods and under such terms as prescribed by the facility director, consistent with §§ 1.300 through 1.303.
(3) VA will limit parking facilities at VA medical facilities to the minimum necessary, and administer those parking facilities in full compliance with ridesharing regulations and Federal laws.
(1) As provided in § 1.302, VA will assess VA employees, contractor employees, tenant employees, visitors, and other individuals having business at a VA medical facility where VA parking facilities are available, a parking fee for the use of that parking facility. All parking fees shall be set at a rate which shall be equivalent to one-half of the appropriate fair rental value (i.e., monthly, weekly, daily, hourly) for the use of equivalent commercial space in the vicinity of the medical facility, subject to the terms and conditions stated in paragraph (a) of this section. Fair rental value shall include an allowance for the costs of management of the parking facilities. The Secretary will determine the fair market rental value through use of generally accepted appraisal techniques. If the appraisal establishes that there is no comparable commercial rate because of the absence of commercial parking facilities within a two-mile radius of the medical facility, then the rate established shall be not less than the lowest rate charged for parking at the VA medical facility with the lowest established parking fees. Rates established shall be reviewed biannually by the Secretary to reflect any increase or decrease in value as determined by appraisal updating.
(2) No parking fees shall be established or collected for parking facilities used by or for vehicles of the following:
(i) Volunteer workers in connection with such workers performing services for the benefit of veterans receiving care at the medical facility;
(ii) A veteran or an eligible person in connection with such veteran or eligible person receiving examination or treatment;
(iii) An individual transporting a veteran or eligible person seeking examination or treatment; and
(iv) Federal Government employees using Government owned or leased or private vehicles for official business.