38 CFR 13.55 - Veterans Service Center Manager to select and appoint or recommend for appointment the person or legal entity to receive Department of Veterans Affairs benefits in a fiduciary capacity.
(a) Authority. The Veterans Service Center Manager is authorized to select and appoint (or in the case of a court-appointed fiduciary, to recommend for appointment) the person or legal entity best suited to receive Department of Veterans Affairs benefits in a fiduciary capacity for a beneficiary who is mentally ill (incompetent) or under legal disability by reason of minority or court action, and beneficiary's dependents.
(b) Payees. Authorized payees include:
(1) The beneficiary (§ 13.56(c));
(2) The beneficiary under supervision (supervised direct payment) (§ 13.56 (a) and (b));
(3) The wife or husband of an incompetent veteran (§ 13.57);
(4) The legal custodian of a beneficiary's Department of Veterans Affairs benefits (§ 13.58);
(5) A court-appointed fiduciary of a beneficiary (§ 13.59);
(6) The chief officer of the institution in which the veteran is receiving care and treatment (§ 13.61);
(7) The bonded officer of an Indian reservation (§ 13.62);
(8) A custodian-in-fact of the beneficiary (§ 13.63);
(9) Dependents of the veteran by an apportioned award (§ 13.70).
(c) Certification. The Veterans Service Center Manager's certification is authority to make payments to the designated payee.