38 CFR § 17.526 - Definitions.
The following definitions apply to §§ 17.525 through 17.530:
Educational loan means a loan, government or commercial, made for educational purposes by institutions that are subject to examination and supervision in their capacity as lending institutions by an agency of the United States or of the state in which the lender has its principal place of business. Loans must be for the actual costs paid for tuition, and other reasonable educational expenses such as living expenses, fees, books, supplies, educational equipment and materials, and laboratory expenses. Loans must be obtained from a government entity, a private financial institution, a school, or any other authorized entity stated in this definition. The following loans do not qualify for the SELRP:
(1) Loans obtained from family members, relatives, or friends;
(2) Loans made prior to, or after, the individual's qualifying education;
(3) Any portion of a consolidated loan that is not specifically identified with the education and purposes for which the SELRP may be authorized, such as home or auto loans merged with educational loans;
(4) Loans for which an individual incurred a service obligation for repayment or agreed to service for future cancellation;
(5) Credit card debt;
(6) Parent Plus Loans;
(7) Loans that have been paid in full;
(8) Loans that are in default, delinquent, not in a current payment status, or have been assumed by a collection agency;
(9) Loans not obtained from a bank, credit union, savings and loan association, not-for-profit organization, insurance company, school, and other financial or credit institution which is subject to examination and supervision in its capacity as a lending institution by an agency of the United States or of the state in which the lender has its principal place of business;
(10) Loans for which supporting documentation is not available;
(11) Loans that have been consolidated with loans of other individuals, such as spouses, children, friends, or other family member; or
(12) Home equity loans or other noneducational loans.
SELRP means the Specialty Education Loan Repayment Program established in §§ 17.525 through 17.530.
VA means the Department of Veterans Affairs.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.