38 CFR 17.610 - Failure to comply with terms and conditions of participation.
(a) If a participant, other than one described in paragraph (b) of this section fails to accept payment or instructs the school not to accept payment of the scholarship provided by the Secretary, the participant must, in addition to any service or other obligation incurred under the contract, pay to the United States the amount of $1,500 liquidated damages. Payment of this amount must be made within 90 days of the date on which the participant fails to accept payment of the scholarship award or instructs the school not to accept payment.
(b) If a participant:
(1) Fails to maintain an acceptable level of academic standing;
(2) Is dismissed from the school for disciplinary reasons;
(3) Voluntarily terminates the course of study or program for which the scholarship was awarded including in the case of a full-time student, a reduction of course load from full-time to part-time before completing the course of study or program;
(4) Fails to become licensed to practice in the discipline for which the degree program prepared the participant, if applicable, in a State within 1 year from the date such person becomes eligible to apply for State licensure; or
(5) Is a part-time student and fails to maintain employment in a permanent assignment in a VA health care facility while enrolled in the course of training being pursued; the participant must instead of performing any service obligation, pay to the United States an amount equal to all scholarship funds awarded under the written contract executed in accordance with § 17.602. Payment of this amount must be made within 1 year from the date academic training terminates unless a longer period is necessary to avoid hardship. No interest will be charged on any part of this indebtedness.
(c) Participants who breach their contracts by failing to begin or complete their service obligation (for any reason) other than as provided for under paragraph (b) of this section are liable to repay the amount of all scholarship funds paid to them and to the school on their behalf, plus interest, multiplied by three, minus months of service obligation satisfied, as determined by the following formula: