38 CFR § 17.644 - Selection of participants.
(a)Selection criteria. In evaluating and selecting participants, VA will consider the following factors:
(2) The strength of the applicant's letters of reference;
(3) The applicant is in good to excellent standing in the residency program, as determined from the Program Director letter of reference;
(4) The applicant demonstrates a strong commitment to VA's mission and core values;
(5) The applicant has personal career goals that match VA needs (i.e., to work with patients suffering from traumatic brain injury, substance abuse, or post-traumatic stress disorder);
(6) The applicant's expresses a desire to work at a location that matches with VA needs; and
(7) The applicant does not have any identifiable circumstances relating to education, training, licensure, certification and review of health status, previous experience, clinical privileges, professional references, malpractice history and adverse actions, or criminal violations that would adversely affect the applicant's credentialing process.
(b)Selection. VA will select not less than 10 individuals who meet the requirements of this section to participate in the program for the repayment of educational loans for each year in which VA carries out the program.
(c)Notification of selection. VA will notify applicants that they have been selected in writing. An individual becomes a participant in the PREL once the participant submits and VA signs the acceptance of conditions.