38 CFR 21.188 -
(a) Purpose. The purposes of extended evaluation status are to:
(1) Identify a veteran for whom a period of extended evaluation is needed; and
(2) Assure that necessary services are provided by VA during the extended evaluation.
(b) Assignment to extended evaluation status. A veteran's case may be assigned or reassigned to extended evaluation status under provisions of § 21.57, § 21.74, § 21.86, § 21.94, § 21.96, or § 21.98.
(c) Continuation in extended evaluation status. A veteran's case will be in extended evaluation status during periods in which:
(1) The veteran is pending induction into the facility at which rehabilitation services will be provided;
(2) The veteran is receiving rehabilitation services prescribed in the IEEP (§ 21.86); or
(3) The veteran is on authorized leave of absence during an extended evaluation.
(d) Termination of extended evaluation status. A veteran in extended evaluation status will remain in that status until one of the following events occur:
(1) Following notification of necessary arrangements to begin an extended evaluation, the date the extended evaluation begins, and instructions as to the next steps to be taken, the veteran:
(i) Fails to report and does not respond to followup contact by the case manager;
(ii) Declines or refuses to enter the program; or
(iii) Defers induction for a period exceeding 30 days beyond the scheduled date of induction, except where the deferment is due to illness or other sufficient reason;
(2) VA determines the reasonable feasibility of a vocational goal for the veteran before completion of all of the planned evaluation because the decision does not require the further evaluation;
(3) The veteran completes the extended evaluation;
(4) Either the veteran or VA interrupts the extended evaluation;
(5) Either the veteran or VA discontinues the extended evaluation; or
(6) Service-connection for the veteran's service-connected disability is severed by VA or his or her continued eligibility otherwise ceases.
See §§ 21.57 Extended evaluation, 21.322 Commencing dates, 21.324 Reduction or termination.