38 CFR 21.222 - Release of, and repayment for, training and rehabilitation supplies.
The value of supplies authorized by VA will be repaid under the provisions of this section, when the veteran fails to complete the program as planned.
(a) Consumable supplies. VA will require reimbursement from a veteran for consumable supplies authorized, unless:
(1) The veteran fails to complete the rehabilitation program through no fault of his or her own;
(2) The employment objective of the rehabilitation plan is changed as a result of reevaluation by VA staff;
(3) The total value of the supplies for which repayment is required is less than $100; or
(4) The veteran dies.
(b) Nonconsumable supplies (general). (1) In addition to the exceptions noted in paragraph (c) of this section, VA will not require reimbursement from a veteran for nonconsumable supplies authorized, if:
(i) The veteran and VA change the long-range goal of the rehabilitation plan and those supplies are not required for the veteran's pursuit of training for the new goal;
(ii) The veteran's failure to complete the program was not his or her fault;
(iii) The veteran was pursuing the program at a facility which recovers nonconsumable supplies from veterans through contractural arrangements with VA, and the veteran returned to the facility all the nonconsumable supplies furnished at VA expense;
(iv) The veteran reenters the Armed Forces or is in the process of reentering the Armed Forces;
(v) The veteran satisfactorily completed one-half or more of a noncollege degree course (or at least two terms in the case of a college course) for which VA furnished the supplies;
(vi) The veteran certifies that he or she is using in current employment the supplies furnished during training;
(vii) The total value of the supplies for which repayment is required is less than $100;
(viii) The veteran dies;
(ix) The veteran is furnished supplies during a period of employment services but loses the job through no fault of his or her own;
(x) A veteran discontinued from an independent living services program is using supplies and equipment to reduce his or her dependence on others; or
(xi) The veteran is declared rehabilitated.
(2) The amount which a veteran must repay will be the lesser of the current value of the supplies, or the original cost of the supplies. VA will accept supplies in lieu of repayment of the value of the supplies if VA has authorized a change of objective.
(c) Training in the home and self-employment. In addition to the reasons for not requiring repayment or return of nonconsumable supplies listed in paragraph (b) of this section, VA will not require a veteran to pay for or return nonconsumable supplies if: (1) In the case of a veteran training in the home:
(i) VA furnished such supplies to equip his or her home as a place of training; and
(ii) The veteran has completed enough of his or her training program to be considered employable, and has been declared rehabilitated to the point of employability;
(2) A veteran in a self-employment program not in the home is declared rehabilitated; or
(3) The veteran dies and the Director, VR&E Service determines that the facts and equities of the family situation warrant waiver of all or a part of the requirements for repayment.