38 CFR 21.298 - Selecting a farm.
(a)Control of the farm - farm operator. A farm selected for farm cooperative training must be under the control of the veteran by ownership, lease or other written tenure arrangement. If the veteran does not own the farm, the lease or other written agreement shall:
(1) Afford the veteran control of the farm at least until the end of his or her course;
(2) Allow the veteran's control to be such that he or she is able:
(i) To carry out the provisions of the training program; and
(ii) To operate the farm in accordance with the farm and home plan developed by the case manager and the veteran in collaboration with the instructor, and when appropriate, the landowner or lessor;
(3) Permit instruction in the planning, management, and operation of farming enterprise in the veteran's farm and home plan;
(4) At least by the end of the necessary minimum period of training, assure the veteran a reasonably satisfactory living under normal economic conditions;
(6) Provide for resources which give reasonable promise that any additional items required for the pursuit of the course, including livestock, will be available as they become necessary;
(7) Provide for capital improvements to be made which are necessary for carrying out the farm and home plan, with the veteran furnishing no greater portion of the costs than the benefits accruing to the veteran warrant; and
(8) Provide for the landowner or leasor to share the costs of improved practices put into effect in proportion to the returns he or she will receive from such practices.
(b)Farms on which more than one person trains - farm operator. If a veteran in training is a partner of another person or if more than one person is involved in operating the farm, the farm shall be of such size and character that the farm:
(1) Together with the instruction part of the course will occupy the full time of the veteran; and
(2) Meets all requirements of paragraph (a) of this section.
(c)Selecting a farm - farm manager. The farm on which a veteran trains to become a farm manager shall be of such size and character that, together with the group instruction part of the course the farm:
(1) Will occupy the full time of the veteran;
(2) Will permit instruction in all aspects of the management and operation of a farm of the type for which the veteran is being trained; and
(3) Meets the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section.
(d)Employer agreement. VA may approve a farm on which a veteran is to train to become a farm manager only if the employer-trainer agrees:
(1) To instruct the veteran in various aspects of farm management in accordance with the individual's plan;
(2) To pay the veteran for each successive period of training a salary or wage rate:
(i) Commensurate with the value of the veteran's productive labor; and
(ii) Not less than that customarily paid to a nonveteran trainee in the same or similar training situation in that community; and
(3) To employ the veteran as a manager of the farm on which he or she is being trained if his or her conduct and progress remain satisfactory, or assure that the veteran will be employed as manager of a specified comparable farm.
Title 38 published on 16-May-2018 03:41
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 38 CFR Part 21 after this date.