38 CFR 21.372 - Interregional transfer at government expense.
(a)Introduction. A veteran may need to transfer from the jurisdiction of one VA facility to another in order to accomplish rehabilitation. This section states the conditions which will permit the transfer to be made at government expense. Authorization of travel is limited to the veteran's transportation, and does not include transportation for the veteran's dependents or for moving personal effects.
(b)Conditions which permit interregional transfers at government expense. A veteran may be provided travel at government expense when it has been determined that such travel is necessary to accomplish rehabilitation. VA will authorize an interregional transfer at government expense only to allow the veteran:
(1) To enter training in the nearest satisfactory facility if:
(i) The nearest satisfactory facility is within the jurisdiction of another VA facility; or
(ii) There are no satisfactory facilities within the jurisdiction of the facility in which the veteran resides.
(3) To report to an employer-trainer when all necessary steps have been taken to establish an on-job training program;
(5) To return to his or her home from the place of training when:
(i) Training is not available for a period of 30 days or more (including summer vacation periods), and
(ii) Travel from his or her home to the place of training or rehabilitation services was at government expense;
(6) To return to the place of training or rehabilitation services from his or her home, when;
(i) The purpose of the travel is to continue training or rehabilitation services; and
(ii) Travel from the place of training or rehabilitation services to the veteran's home was at government expense;
(7) To return to the point from which he or she was transferred at government expense, upon being assigned to “discontinued” or “interrupted” status, for any reason, except abandonment of training by the veteran without good reason;
(8) To report to a place of prearranged satisfactory employment or for a prearranged employment interview following completion of his or her program of vocational rehabilitation, when:
(i) There is no satisfactory opportunity for employment in the veteran's occupation within the jurisdiction of the facility which has jurisdiction over his or her residence, and
(9) To return to his or her home, from which he or she was transferred at government expense to pursue training, when, upon completion of his or her course, satisfactory employment is not available;
(10) To return to the location from which he or she traveled without authorization because VA did not issue the necessary travel authorization on a timely basis.
(c)Approval of interregional transfer. Interregional travel must be approved by the case manager.
Title 38 published on 03-Nov-2018 03:46
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 38 CFR Part 21 after this date.