38 CFR 36.4360 - Condominium loans
(a) Authority - applicability of other loan guaranty regulations, 38 CFR part 36. A loan to an eligible veteran to purchase a one-family residential unit in a condominium housing development or project shall be eligible for guaranty or insurance to the same extent and on the same terms as other loans under 38 U.S.C. 3710 provided the loan conforms to the provisions of chapter 37, title 38 U.S.C., except for sections 3711 (direct loans), and 3727 (structural defects). The loan must also conform to the otherwise applicable provisions of the regulations concerning the guaranty or insurance of loans to veterans. Sections 36.4357, 36.4359, and 36.4369 shall not be applicable.
(b) Definitions. On and after July 1, 1979, the following definitions shall be applicable to each condominium loan entitled to be guaranteed or insured, and shall be applicable to such loans previously guaranteed or insured to the extent that no legal rights vested thereunder are impaired. Whenever used in 38 U.S.C. chapter 37 or this subpart, unless the context otherwise requires, the terms defined in this paragraph shall have the meaning stated.
(1) Affiliate of declarant. Affiliate of declarant means any person or entity which controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with, a declarant.
(A) Directly or indirectly or acting in concert with one or more persons, or through one or more subsidiaries, owns, controls, or holds with power to vote, or holds proxies representing, more than 20 percent of the voting shares of the declarant;
(B) Controls in any manner the election of a majority of the directors of the declarant; or
(C) Has contributed more than 20 percent of the capital of the declarant.
(A) Directly or indirectly or acting in concert with one or more persons or through one or more subsidiaries, owns, controls, or holds with power to vote, or holds proxies representing, more than 20 percent of the voting shares of that person or entity;
(B) Controls in any manner the election of a majority of the directors of that person or entity; or
(C) Has contributed more than 20 percent of the capital of that person or entity.
(2) Condominium. Unless otherwise provided by State law, a condominium is a form of ownership in which the buyer receives title to a three dimensional air space containing the individual living unit together with an undivided interest or share in the ownership of common elements (restatement of § 36.4301, Condominium).
(3) Conversion condominium. Condominium projects not originally built and sold as condominiums but subsequently converted to the condominium form of ownership.
(4) Declarant. Any person who has executed a declaration or an amendment to a declaration to add additional real estate to the project or any successors or assigns of the declarant who offers to sell or sells units in the condominium project and who assumes declarant rights in the project including the right to: Add, convert or withdraw real estate from the condominium project; maintain sales offices, management offices and rental units; exercise easements through the common elements for the purpose of making improvements within the condominium; or exercise control of the owner's association. Declarant is further defined as any sponsor of a project or affiliate of the declarant who is acting on behalf of or exercising the rights of the declarant.
(5) Existing - declarant in control or marketing units. A condominium in which all onsite or offsite improvements were completed or the conversion was completed prior to appraisal by the Department of Veterans Affairs, but the declarant is in control of the owners' association and/or is currently marketing units for initial transfer to individual unit owners.
(6) Existing - resale. A condominium in which all onsite or offsite improvements were completed, or the conversion was completed prior to appraisal by the Department of Veterans Affairs, and the declarant is no longer in control of the owners' association and/or marketing units for initial transfer to individual unit owners.
(7) Expandable condominium. A project which may be increased in size by the declarant. An expandable condominium is constructed in phases (or stages). After each phase is completed and constituted, the common estates are merged. Each unit owner, thereby, gains an individual interest in all of the facilities of the common estate.
(8) Foreclosure. Foreclosure shall mean the termination of a lien by either judicial or nonjudicial procedures in accordance with local law or the voluntary transfer of property by a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure or similar procedures.
(9) High rise condominium. A condominium project which is a multi-story elevator building.
(10) Horizontal condominium. A condominium project in which generally no part of a living unit extends over or under another living unit.
(11) Low rise condominium. A condominium project in which all or a part of a living unit extends over or under another living unit, e.g., garden apartment or walk-up project.
(12) Proposed condominium. A condominium project that is to be constructed or is under construction. In the case of a condominium conversion, the declarant proposes to convert a building or buildings to the condominium form of ownership, or the declarant is in the process of converting the building or buildings to the condominium form of ownership.
(13) Series condominium. A number of adjoining but separately constituted condominiums. An association of owners is established for each project, and each association is responsible for maintenance and upkeep of the common elements in its own project. Cross-easements between the separate condominiums may be created to permit members of the separate condominiums to use the common areas of the other condominiums.
(c) Project approval. Prior to Department of Veterans Affairs guaranty of an individual unit loan in a condominium, the legal documentation establishing the condominium project or development must be approved by the Secretary.
Title 38 published on 2015-07-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 38 CFR Part 36 after this date.