39 CFR 3004.30 - Relationship among the Freedom of Information Act, the Privacy Act, and the Commission's procedures for according appropriate confidentiality.
(a)Coverage. FOIA applies to all Commission records and provides the public with access to government records.
(b)Requesting records subject to the Privacy Act. A request by an individual for his or her own records contained in a system of records is governed by the Privacy Act. Release will first be considered under the Privacy Act pursuant to part 3003 of this chapter. However, if there is any record that the Commission need not release under the Privacy Act, the Commission will also consider the request under FOIA, and will release the record if FOIA requires it.
(c)Requesting another individual's record. Request for records of individuals which may not be granted under the Privacy Act shall be considered under FOIA.
(1) If the Commission makes a disclosure in response to a request and the disclosure is permitted by the Privacy Act's disclosure provision, 5 U.S.C. 552a(b), the Commission will rely on the Privacy Act to govern the disclosure.
(2) In some circumstances, the Privacy Act may prohibit the Commission's ability to release records which may be released under FOIA.
(d)Requesting a Postal Service record. The Commission maintains custody of records that are both Commission and Postal Service records.
(1) A request made pursuant to FOIA for records designated as non-public by the Postal Service shall be referred to the Postal Service; and
(2) A request made pursuant to part 3007 of this chapter for records designated as non-public by the Postal Service shall be considered under the applicable standards set forth in that part.
(e)Requesting a third-party record submitted under seal. The Commission maintains records of a confidential nature submitted by third parties as non-public materials.
(1) A request made pursuant to FOIA for records designated as non-public by a third party shall be considered in light of all applicable exemptions; and
(2) A request made pursuant to part 3007 of this chapter for records designated as non-public by a third party shall be considered under the applicable standards set forth in that part.