39 CFR 958.9 - Responsibilities and authority of presiding officer.
(a) The Presiding Officer shall conduct a fair and impartial hearing, avoid unnecessary delay, maintain order, and assure that a record of the proceeding is made.
(b) The Presiding Officer's authority includes, but is not limited to, the following:
(1) Establishing, upon adequate notice to all parties, the date and time of the oral hearing, if any, as well as, in accordance with § 958.7, selecting the hearing site;
(2) Holding conferences, by telephone or in person, to identify or simplify the issues, or to consider other matters that may aid in the expeditious resolution of the proceeding;
(3) Continuing or recessing the hearing in whole or in part for a reasonable period of time;
(4) Administering oaths and affirmations to witnesses;
(5) Ruling on all offers, motions, requests by the parties, and other procedural matters;
(6) Issuing any notices, orders, or memoranda to the parties concerning the proceedings;
(7) Regulating the scope and timing of discovery;
(8) Regulating the course of the hearing and the conduct of the parties and their representatives;
(9) Examining witnesses;
(10) Receiving, ruling on, excluding, or limiting evidence in order to assure that relevant, reliable and probative evidence is elicited on the issues in dispute, but irrelevant, immaterial or repetitious evidence is excluded;
(11) Deciding cases, upon motion of a party, in whole or in part by summary judgment where there is no disputed issue of material fact;
(12) Establishing the record in the case; and
(13) Issuing a written Initial Decision containing findings of fact, conclusions of law, and determinations with respect to whether civil penalties, clean-up costs and/or damages for mailing hazardous materials and/or related violations under 39 U.S.C. 3018 should be imposed, and if so, the amounts thereof, after taking into account the penalty considerations contained in 39 U.S.C. 3018(e).
Title 39 published on 05-Feb-2018 04:13
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 39 CFR Part 958 after this date.