39 CFR 966.8 - Authority and responsibilities of Hearing Official or Judicial Officer.
(a) In processing a case under this part, the Hearing Official's authority includes, but is not limited to, the following:
(1) Ruling on all offers, motions, or requests by the parties;
(2) Issuing any notices, orders, or memoranda to the parties concerning the hearing procedures;
(3) Conducting telephone conferences with the parties to expedite the proceedings (a memorandum of a telephone conference will be transmitted to both parties). The Hearing Official's Memorandum of Telephone Conference serves as the official record of that conference;
(4) Determining if an oral hearing is necessary, the type of oral hearing that would be appropriate, and setting the place, date, and time for such hearing;
(5) Administering oaths or affirmations to witnesses;
(6) Conducting the hearing in a manner to maintain discipline and decorum while assuring that relevant, reliable, and probative evidence is elicited on the disputed issues, and that irrelevant, immaterial, or repetitious evidence is excluded. The Hearing Official in his or her discretion may examine witnesses to ensure that a satisfactory record is developed;
(7) Establishing the record in the case. Except as the Hearing Official may otherwise order in his or her discretion, no proof shall be received in evidence after completion of an oral hearing or, in cases submitted on the written record, after notification by the Hearing Official that the case is ready for decision. The weight to be attached to any evidence of record will rest within the sound discretion of the Hearing Official. The Hearing Official may require either party, with appropriate notice to the other party, to submit additional evidence on any relevant matter;
(8) Issuing an initial decision or one on remand; and
(9) Granting reasonable time extensions or other relief for good cause shown.
Title 39 published on 2015-08-22
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 39 CFR Part 966 after this date.