40 CFR 122.31 - As a Tribe, what is my role under the NPDES storm water program?

§ 122.31 As a Tribe, what is my role under the NPDES storm water program?

As a Tribe you may:

(a) Be authorized to operate the NPDES program including the storm water program, after EPA determines that you are eligible for treatment in the same manner as a State under §§ 123.31 through 123.34 of this chapter. (If you do not have an authorized NPDES program, EPA implements the program for discharges on your reservation as well as other Indian country, generally.);

(b) Be classified as an owner of a regulated small MS4, as defined in § 122.32. (Designation of your Tribe as an owner of a small MS4 for purposes of this part is an approach that is consistent with EPA's 1984 Indian Policy of operating on a government-to-government basis with EPA looking to Tribes as the lead governmental authorities to address environmental issues on their reservations as appropriate. If you operate a separate storm sewer system that meets the definition of a regulated small MS4, you are subject to the requirements under §§ 122.33 through 122.35. If you are not designated as a regulated small MS4, you may ask EPA to designate you as such for the purposes of this part.); or

(c) Be a discharger of storm water associated with industrial activity or small construction activity under §§ 122.26(b)(14) or (b)(15), in which case you must meet the applicable requirements. Within Indian country, the NPDES permitting authority is generally EPA, unless you are authorized to administer the NPDES program.

[ 64 FR 68842, Dec. 8, 1999]

This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.

This list is taken from the Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules provided by GPO [Government Printing Office].

It is not guaranteed to be accurate or up-to-date, though we do refresh the database weekly. More limitations on accuracy are described at the GPO site.

United States Code
The section you are viewing is cited by the following CFR sections.