(a) After determining that a State program submission is complete, EPA shall publish notice of the State's application in the Federal Register, and in enough of the largest newspapers in the State to attract statewide attention, and shall mail notice to persons known to be interested in such matters, including all persons on appropriate State and EPA mailing lists and all permit holders and applicants within the State. The notice shall:
(1) Provide a comment period of not less than 45 days during which interested members of the public may express their views on the State program;
(2) Provide for a public hearing within the State to be held no less than 30 days after notice is published in the Federal Register;
(3) Indicate the cost of obtaining a copy of the State's submission;
(4) Indicate where and when the State's submission may be reviewed by the public;
(5) Indicate whom an interested member of the public should contact with any questions; and
(6) Briefly outline the fundamental aspects of the State's proposed program, and the process for EPA review and decision.
(b) Within 90 days of the receipt of a complete program submission under § 123.21 the Administrator shall approve or disapprove the program based on the requirements of this part and of CWA and taking into consideration all comments received. A responsiveness summary shall be prepared by the Regional Office which identifies the public participation activities conducted, describes the matters presented to the public, summarizes significant comments received and explains the Agency's response to these comments.
(c) If the Administrator approves the State's program he or she shall notify the State and publish notice in the Federal Register. The Regional Administrator shall suspend the issuance of permits by EPA as of the date of program approval.
(d) If the Administrator disapproves the State program he or she shall notify the State of the reasons for disapproval and of any revisions or modifications to the State program which are necessary to obtain approval.