§ 125.99What are approved design and construction technologies?
(a) The following technologies constitute approved design and construction technologies for purposes of § 125.94(a)(4):
(1) Submerged cylindrical wedge-wire screen technology, if you meet the following conditions:
(i) Your cooling water intake structure is located in a freshwater river or stream;
(ii) Your cooling water intake structure is situated such that sufficient ambient counter currents exist to promote cleaning of the screen face;
(iii)Your maximum through-screen design intake velocity is 0.5 ft/s or less;
(iv) The slot size is appropriate for the size of eggs, larvae, and juveniles of all fish and shellfish to be protected at the site; and
(v) Your entire main condenser cooling water flow is directed through the technology. Small flows totaling less than 2 MGD for auxiliary plant cooling uses are excluded from this provision.
(2) A technology that has been approved in accordance with the process described in paragraph (b) of this section.
(b) You or any other interested person may submit a request to the Director that a technology be approved in accordance with the compliance alternative in § 125.94(a)(4) after providing the public with notice and an opportunity to comment on the request for approval of the technology. If the Director approves the technology, it may be used by all facilities with similar site conditions under the Director's jurisdiction. Requests for approval of a technology must be submitted to the Director and include the following information:
(1) A detailed description of the technology;
(2) A list of design criteria for the technology and site characteristics and conditions that each facility must have in order to ensure that the technology can consistently meet the appropriate impingement mortality and entrainment performance standards in § 125.94(b); and
(3) Information and data sufficient to demonstrate that facilities under the jurisdiction of the Director can meet the applicable impingement mortality and entrainment performance standards in § 125.94(b) if the applicable design criteria and site characteristics and conditions are present at the facility.