40 CFR 1502.9 - Draft, final, and supplemental statements.
Except for proposals for legislation as provided in § 1506.8 environmental impact statements shall be prepared in two stages and may be supplemented.
(a) Draft environmental impact statements shall be prepared in accordance with the scope decided upon in the scoping process. The lead agency shall work with the cooperating agencies and shall obtain comments as required in part 1503 of this chapter. The draft statement must fulfill and satisfy to the fullest extent possible the requirements established for final statements in section 102(2)(C) of the Act. If a draft statement is so inadequate as to preclude meaningful analysis, the agency shall prepare and circulate a revised draft of the appropriate portion. The agency shall make every effort to disclose and discuss at appropriate points in the draft statement all major points of view on the environmental impacts of the alternatives including the proposed action.
(b) Final environmental impact statements shall respond to comments as required in part 1503 of this chapter. The agency shall discuss at appropriate points in the final statement any responsible opposing view which was not adequately discussed in the draft statement and shall indicate the agency's response to the issues raised.
(1) Shall prepare supplements to either draft or final environmental impact statements if:
(i) The agency makes substantial changes in the proposed action that are relevant to environmental concerns; or
(ii) There are significant new circumstances or information relevant to environmental concerns and bearing on the proposed action or its impacts.
(2) May also prepare supplements when the agency determines that the purposes of the Act will be furthered by doing so.
(3) Shall adopt procedures for introducing a supplement into its formal administrative record, if such a record exists.
(4) Shall prepare, circulate, and file a supplement to a statement in the same fashion (exclusive of scoping) as a draft and final statement unless alternative procedures are approved by the Council.
- 7 CFR 650.11 — Environmental Documents.
- 7 CFR 3407.11 — Preparation of Environmental Impact Statements.
- 7 CFR 1970.155 — Supplementing EISs.
- 10 CFR 1021.314 — Supplemental Environmental Impact Statements.
- 10 CFR 1021.313 — Public Review of Environmental Impact Statements.
- 10 CFR 1021.311 — Notice of Intent and Scoping.
- 10 CFR 1021.104 — Definitions.
- 14 CFR 1216.308 — Supplemental EAs and EISs.
- 16 CFR 1.86 — Supplemental Statements.
- 16 CFR 1.84 — Draft Environmental Impact Statements: Availability and Comment.
- 16 CFR 1.85 — Final Environmental Impact Statements.
- 21 CFR 25.42 — Environmental Impact Statements.
- 24 CFR 58.60 — Preparation and Filing of Environmental Impact Statements.
- 32 CFR 651.24 — Supplemental EAs and Supplemental EISs.
- 6 CFR 989.20 — Final EIS.
- 6 CFR 989.19 — Draft EIS.
- 33 CFR 148.710 — What Environmental Conditions Must Be Satisfied?
- 40 CFR 6.207 — Environmental Impact Statements.
- 43 CFR 46.415 — Environmental Impact Statement Content, Alternatives, Circulation and Filing Requirements.