40 CFR 160.35 - Quality assurance unit.
(a) A testing facility shall have a quality assurance unit which shall be responsible for monitoring each study to assure management that the facilities, equipment, personnel, methods, practices, records, and controls are in conformance with the regulations in this part. For any given study, the quality assurance unit shall be entirely separate from and independent of the personnel engaged in the direction and conduct of that study. The quality assurance unit shall conduct inspections and maintain records appropriate to the study.
(b) The quality assurance unit shall:
(1) Maintain a copy of a master schedule sheet of all studies conducted at the testing facility indexed by test substance, and containing the test system, nature of study, date study was initiated, current status of each study, identity of the sponsor, and name of the study director.
(2) Maintain copies of all protocols pertaining to all studies for which the unit is responsible.
(3) Inspect each study at intervals adequate to ensure the integrity of the study and maintain written and properly signed records of each periodic inspection showing the date of the inspection, the study inspected, the phase or segment of the study inspected, the person performing the inspection, findings and problems, action recommended and taken to resolve existing problems, and any scheduled date for reinspection. Any problems which are likely to affect study integrity found during the course of an inspection shall be brought to the attention of the study director and management immediately.
(5) Determine that no deviations from approved protocols or standard operating procedures were made without proper authorization and documentation.
(6) Review the final study report to assure that such report accurately describes the methods and standard operating procedures, and that the reported results accurately reflect the raw data of the study.
(c) The responsibilities and procedures applicable to the quality assurance unit, the records maintained by the quality assurance unit, and the method of indexing such records shall be in writing and shall be maintained. These items including inspection dates, the study inspected, the phase or segment of the study inspected, and the name of the individual performing the inspection shall be made available for inspection to authorized employees or duly designated representatives of EPA or FDA.
(d) An authorized employee or a duly designated representative of EPA or FDA shall have access to the written procedures established for the inspection and may request testing facility management to certify that inspections are being implemented, performed, documented, and followed up in accordance with this paragraph.