40 CFR 203.1 - Definitions.
(a) As used in this part, any term not defined herein shall have the meaning given it in the Noise Control Act of 1972 (Pub. L. 92-574).
(1) Act means the Noise Control Act of 1972 (Pub. L. 92-574).
(2) Federal Government includes the legislative, executive, and judicial branches of the Government of the United States, and the government of the District of Columbia.
(3) Administrator means the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency.
(4) Product means any manufactured article or goods or component thereof; except that such term does not include -
(i) Any aircraft, aircraft engine, propellor or appliance, as such terms are defined in section 101 of the Federal Aviation Act of 1958; or
(ii)(a) Any military weapons or equipment which are designed for combat use; (b) any rockets or equipment which are designed for research, experimental or developmental work to be performed by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration; or (c) to the extent provided by regulations of the Administrator, any other machinery or equipment designed for use in experimental work done by or for the Federal Government.
(5) Low-Noise-Emission Product Determination means the Administrator's determination whether or not a product, for which a properly filed application has been received, meets the low-noise-emission product criterion.
(6) Suitable Substitute Decision means the Administrator's decision whether a product which the Administrator has determined to be a low-noise-emission product is a suitable substitute for a product or products presently being purchased by the Federal Government.