40 CFR 204.57-1 - Test request.
(a) The Administrator will request all testing under this subpart by means of a test request addressed to the manufacturer.
(c) The test request will specify the compressor category or configuration selected for testing, the batch from which sampling is to begin, for testing and the batch size, the manufacturer's plant or storage facility from which the compressors must be selected, and the time at which compressors must be selected. The test request will also provide for situations in which the selected configuration or category is unavailable for testing. The test request may include an alternative category or configuration selected for testing in the event that compressors of the first specified category or configuration are not available for testing because the compressors are not being manufactured at the specified plant and/or are not being manufactured during the specified time or not being stored at the specified plant or storage facility.
(d) Any manufacturer shall, upon receipt of the test request, select and test a batch sample of compressors from two consecutively produced batches of the compressor category or configurations specified in the test request in accordance with these regulations and the conditions specified in the test request.
(1) Any testing conducted by the manufacturer pursuant to a test request shall be initiated within such period as is specified in the test request; Except, that such initiation may be delayed for increments of 24 hours or one business day where ambient test site weather conditions in any 24-hour period do not permit testing: Provided, That ambient test site weather conditions for that period are recorded.
(2) The manufacturer shall complete noise emission testing on a minimum of five compressors per day, unless otherwise provided for by the Administrator or unless ambient test site conditions only permit the testing of a lesser number: Provided, That ambient test site weather conditions for that period are recorded.
(3) The manufacturer will be allowed 24 hours to ship compressors from a batch sample from the assembly plant to the testing facility if the facility is not located at the plant or in close proximity to the plant; Except, that the Administrator may approve more time based upon a request by the manufacturer accompanied by a satisfactory justification.
(1) The manufacturer refuses to comply with the provisions of a test request issued by the Administrator pursuant to this section; or
(2) The manufacturer refuses to comply with any of the requirements of this section.
(g) A cease-to-distribute order shall not be issued under paragraph (f) of this section if such refusal is caused by conditions and circumstances outside the control of the manufacturer which render it impossible to comply with the provisions of a test request or any other requirements of this section. Such conditions and circumstances shall include, but are not limited to, any uncontrollable factors which result in the temporary unavailability of equipment and personnel needed to conduct the required tests, such as equipment breakdown or failure or illness of personnel, but shall not include failure of the manufacturer to adequately plan for and provide the equipment and personnel needed to conduct the tests. The manufacturer will bear the burden of establishing the presence of the conditions and circumstances required by this paragraph.
(h) Any such order shall be issued only after a notice and opportunity for a hearing in accordance with section 554 of Title 5 of the United States Code.