40 CFR § 370.66 - How are key words in this part defined?
Chief Executive Officer of the Tribe means the person who is recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs as the chief elected administrative officer of the Tribe.
Environment includes water, air, and land and the interrelationship that exists among and between water, air, and land and all living things.
EPCRA means the Emergency Planning and Community Right-To-Know Act of 1986.
Extremely hazardous substance (EHS) means a substance listed in appendices A and B of 40 CFR part 355.
Facility means all buildings, equipment, structures, and other stationary items that are located on a single site or on contiguous or adjacent sites and that are owned or operated by the same person (or by any person that controls, is controlled by, or under common control with, such person).
Facility includes manmade structures, as well as all natural structures in which chemicals are purposefully placed or removed through human means such that it functions as a containment structure for human use.
Hazard category is divided into two categories, health and physical hazards.
(1) Health hazard means a chemical which poses one of the following hazardous effects: Carcinogenicity; acute toxicity (any route of exposure); aspiration hazard; reproductive toxicity; germ cell mutagenicity; skin corrosion or irritation; respiratory or skin sensitization; serious eye damage or eye irritation; specific target organ toxicity (single or repeated exposure); simple asphyxiant; and hazard not otherwise classified (HNOC).
(2) Physical hazard means a chemical which poses one of the following hazardous effects: Flammable (gases, aerosols, liquids or solids); gas under pressure; explosive; self-heating; pyrophoric (liquid or solid); pyrophoric gas; oxidizer (liquid, solid or gas); organic peroxide; self-reactive; in contact with water emits flammable gas; combustible dust; corrosive to metal; and hazard not otherwise classified (HNOC).
(1) Any food, food additive, color additive, drug, or cosmetic regulated by the Food and Drug Administration.
(2) Any substance present as a solid in any manufactured item to the extent exposure to the substance does not occur under normal conditions of use.
(3) Any substance to the extent it is used:
(i) For personal, family, or household purposes, or is present in the same form and concentration as a product packaged for distribution and use by the general public. Present in the same form and concentration as a product packaged for distribution and use by the general public means a substance packaged in a similar manner and present in the same concentration as the substance when packaged for use by the general public, whether or not it is intended for distribution to the general public or used for the same purpose as when it is packaged for use by the general public;
(ii) In a research laboratory or a hospital or other medical facility under the direct supervision of a technically qualified individual; or
(iii) In routine agricultural operations or is a fertilizer held for sale by a retailer to the ultimate customer.
(1) All land within the limits of any Indian reservation under the jurisdiction of the United States government, notwithstanding the issuance of any patent, and including rights-of-way running through the reservation;
(2) All dependent Indian communities within the borders of the United States whether within the original or subsequently acquired territory thereof, and whether within or without the limits of a State; and
(3) All Indian allotments, the Indian titles to which have not been extinguished, including rights-of-way running through the same.
Indian Tribe or Tribe means those Tribes federally recognized by the Secretary of the Interior.
Inventory form means the uniform Tier I and Tier II emergency and hazardous chemical inventory forms published by EPA. These forms can be used for reporting inventory information, as described in 40 CFR 370.40 through 370.45.
LEPC means the Local Emergency Planning Committee appointed by the State Emergency Response Commission.
Material Safety Data Sheet or MSDS (or SDS) means the sheet required to be developed under 29 CFR 1910.1200(g).
OSHA means the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
Person means any individual, trust, firm, joint stock company, corporation (including a government corporation), partnership, association, State, municipality, commission, political subdivision of a State, or interstate body.
Safety Data Sheet or SDS means the sheet required to be developed under 29 CFR 1910.1200(g). This term means the same as the term “material safety data sheet or MSDS” defined in this section.
SERC means the State Emergency Response Commission for the State in which the facility is located except when the facility is located in Indian Country, in which case, SERC means the Emergency Response Commission for the Tribe under whose jurisdiction the facility is located. In the absence of a SERC for a State or an Indian Tribe, the Governor or the chief executive officer of the tribe, respectively, shall be the SERC. Where there is a cooperative agreement between a State and a Tribe, the SERC shall be the entity identified in the agreement.
State means any State of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the United States Virgin Islands, the Northern Mariana Islands, any other territory or possession over which the United States has jurisdiction and Indian Country.
Threshold planning quantity (TPQ) means, for a substance listed in Appendices A and B of 40 CFR part 355, the quantity listed in the column “threshold planning quantity” for that substance.