40 CFR 51.1103 - Application of classification and attainment date provisions in CAA section 181 to areas subject to § 51.1102.
(a) In accordance with CAA section 181(a)(1), each area designated nonattainment for the 2008 ozone NAAQS shall be classified by operation of law at the time of designation. The classification shall be based on the 8-hour design value for the area at the time of designation, in accordance with Table 1 below. A state may request a higher or lower classification as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section. For each area classified under this section, the attainment date for the 2008 NAAQS shall be as expeditious as practicable but not later than the date provided in Table 1 as follows:
Table 1 - Classifications and Attainment Dates for 2008 8-Hour Ozone NAAQS (0.075 PPM) for Areas Subject to CFR Section 51.1102
|Area class||8-hour design value (ppm ozone)||Primary standard attainment date (years after the
effective date of designation for 2008 primary NAAQS)
|Extreme||equal to or above||0.175||20|
* But not including
(d) The following nonattainment areas are reclassified for the 2008 ozone NAAQS as follows: Serious - Ventura County, CA; Severe - Los Angeles-San Bernardino Counties (West Mojave Desert), Riverside County (Coachella Valley), and Sacramento Metro, CA; Extreme - Los Angeles-South Coast Air Basin, and San Joaquin Valley, CA.
- 40 CFR 51.1112 — Requirements for Reasonably Available Control Technology (RACT) and Reasonably Available Control Measures (RACM).
- 40 CFR 51.1102 — Classification and Nonattainment Area Planning Provisions.
- 40 CFR 51.1108 — Modeling and Attainment Demonstration Requirements.
- 40 CFR 51.1110 — Requirements for Reasonable Further Progress (RFP).
- 40 CFR 51.1106 — Redesignation to Nonattainment Following Initial Designations.