40 CFR 57.503 - Control measures.
The NSO of any smelter subject to the requirements of § 57.502(b) shall be amended, if necessary, within 6 months of EPA's receipt of the analysis specified in § 57.502(b), as provided in § 57.704(c) to implement the requirement of § 57.501. Measures required to be implemented may include:
(a) Additional supplementary control. The use of the supplementary control system, if the additional use of the system does not interfere with the smelter owner's ability to meet the requirements of subpart D; and
(b) Engineering and maintenance techniques. The use of engineering and maintenance techniques to detect and prevent leaks and capture and vent fugitive emissions through appropriate stacks. These techniques include but are not limited to:
(2) For roasters, installation and proper operation of primary hoods on all hot calcine transfer points;
(3) For furnaces, installation and proper operation of primary hoods on all active matte tap holes, matte launders, slag skim bays, and transfer points;
(4) For converters, installation and proper operation of primary hoods for blowing operations, and where appropriate, secondary hoods for charging and pouring operations;
(5) For sintering machines, installation and proper operation of primary hoods on the sinter bed, all hot sinter ignition points, all concentrate laydown points, and all hot sinter transfer points;
(6) For blast furnaces, installation and proper operation of primary hoods on all active slag and lead bullion furnace tap holes and transfer points;
(7) For dross reverberatory furnaces, installation and proper operation of primary hoods on all active charging and discharging points;
(8) Maintenance of all ducts, flues and stacks in a leak-free condition to the maximum extent possible;
(9) Maintenance of all process equipment under normal operating conditions in such a fashion that out-leakage of fugitive gases will be prevented to the maximum extent possible;
Title 40 published on 2014-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.