40 CFR 57.804 - Request for hearing; request to participate in hearing.
(a) Request for hearing. Within 30 days of the date of publication or receipt of the notice required by § 57.803, any person may request the Administrator to hold a hearing on the tentative determination by submitting a written request containing the following:
(1) Identification of the person requesting the hearing and his interest in the proceeding;
(2) A statement of any objections to the tentative determination; and
(3) A statement of the issues which such person proposes to raise for consideration at such hearing.
(b) Grant or denial of hearing; notification. Whenever (1) the Administrator has received a written request satisfying the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section which presents genuine issues as to the effect on the smelter of the requirement for use of constant controls, or (2) the Administrator determines in his discretion that a hearing is necessary or appropriate the Administrator shall give written notice of his determination to each person requesting such hearing and the smelter owner, and shall provide public notice of his determination in accordance with § 57.803(b). If the Administrator determines that a request filed under paragraph (a) of this section does not comply with the requirements of paragraph (a) or does not present genuine issues, he shall be given written notice of his decision to deny a hearing to the person requesting the hearing.
(c) Form of notice of hearing. Each notice of hearing disseminated under paragraph (b) of this section shall contain:
(1) A statement of the time and place of the hearing;
(2) A statement identifying the place at which the official record on the application for waiver is located, the hours during which it will be open for public inspection, and the documents contained in the record as of the date of the notice of hearing;
(3) The due date for filing a written request to participate in the hearing under paragraph (d) of this section;
(4) The due date for making written submissions under 57.805; and
(5) The name, address, and office telephone number of the hearing Clerk for the hearing.
(d) Request to participate in hearing. Each person desiring to participate in any hearing granted under this section, including any person requesting such a hearing, shall file a written request to participate with the Hearing Clerk by the deadline set forth in the notice of hearing. The request shall include:
(1) A brief statement of the interest of the person in the proceeding;
(2) A brief outline of the points to be addressed;
(3) An estimate of the time required; and
(4) If the request is submitted by an organization, a nonbinding list of the persons to take part in the presentation. As soon as practicable, but in no event later than two weeks before the scheduled date of the hearing, the Hearing Clerk shall make available to the public and shall mail to each person who asked to participate in the hearing a hearing schedule.
(e) Effect of denial of or absence of request for hearing. If no request for a hearing is made under this section, or if all such requests are denied under paragraph (b) of this section, the tentative determination issued under § 57.803 shall be treated procedurally as if it were a recommended decision issued under § 57.811(b)(2), except that for purposes of §§ 57.812 and 57.813 the term “hearing participant” shall be construed to mean the smelter owner and any person who submitted comments under § 57.803(e)(4).