40 CFR 6.401 - Applicability.
(a) Administrative actions requiring environmental review. The environmental review requirements apply to the activities of EPA as follows:
(1) Major research or demonstration projects which affect the global commons or a foreign nation.
(2) Ocean dumping activities carried out under section 102 of the MPRSA which affect the related environment.
(3) Major permitting or licensing by EPA of facilities which affect the global commons or the environment of a foreign nation. This may include such actions as the issuance by EPA of hazardous waste treatment, storage, or disposal facility permits pursuant to section 3005 of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (42 U.S.C. 6925), NPDES permits pursuant to section 402 of the Clean Water Act (33 U.S.C. 1342), and prevention of significant deterioration approvals pursuant to Part C of the Clean Air Act (42 U.S.C. 7470 et seq.)
(4) Wastewater Treatment Construction Grants Program under section 201 of the Clean Water Act when activities addressed in the facility plan would have environmental effects abroad.
(5) Other EPA activities as determined by OFA and OIA (see § 6.406(c)).