40 CFR 60.480 - Applicability and designation of affected facility.
(1) The provisions of this subpart apply to affected facilities in the synthetic organic chemicals manufacturing industry.
(2) The group of all equipment (defined in § 60.481) within a process unit is an affected facility.
(b) Any affected facility under paragraph (a) of this section that commences construction, reconstruction, or modification after January 5, 1981, and on or before November 7, 2006, shall be subject to the requirements of this subpart.
(c) Addition or replacement of equipment for the purpose of process improvement which is accomplished without a capital expenditure shall not by itself be considered a modification under this subpart.
(1) If an owner or operator applies for one or more of the exemptions in this paragraph, then the owner or operator shall maintain records as required in § 60.486(i).
(2) Any affected facility that has the design capacity to produce less than 1,000 Mg/yr (1,102 ton/yr) of a chemical listed in § 60.489 is exempt from §§ 60.482-1 through 60.482-10.
(3) If an affected facility produces heavy liquid chemicals only from heavy liquid feed or raw materials, then it is exempt from §§ 60.482-1 through 60.482-10.
(4) Any affected facility that produces beverage alcohol is exempt from §§ 60.482-1 through 60.482-10.
(5) Any affected facility that has no equipment in volatile organic compounds (VOC) service is exempt from §§ 60.482-1 through 60.482-10.
(e) Alternative means of compliance - (1) Option to comply with part 65. (i) Owners or operators may choose to comply with the provisions of 40 CFR part 65, subpart F, to satisfy the requirements of §§ 60.482 through 60.487 for an affected facility. When choosing to comply with 40 CFR part 65, subpart F, the requirements of §§ 60.485(d), (e), and (f) and 60.486(i) and (j) still apply. Other provisions applying to an owner or operator who chooses to comply with 40 CFR part 65 are provided in 40 CFR 65.1.
(ii) Part 60, subpart A. Owners or operators who choose to comply with 40 CFR part 65, subpart F must also comply with §§ 60.1, 60.2, 60.5, 60.6, 60.7(a)(1) and (4), 60.14, 60.15, and 60.16 for that equipment. All sections and paragraphs of subpart A of this part that are not mentioned in this paragraph (e)(1)(ii) do not apply to owners and operators of equipment subject to this subpart complying with 40 CFR part 65, subpart F, except that provisions required to be met prior to implementing 40 CFR part 65 still apply. Owners and operators who choose to comply with 40 CFR part 65, subpart F, must comply with 40 CFR part 65, subpart A.
(2) Subpart VVa. Owners or operators may choose to comply with the provisions of subpart VVa of this part 60 to satisfy the requirements of this subpart VV for an affected facility.
(f) Stay of standards. Owners or operators are not required to comply with the definition of “process unit” in § 60.481 and the requirements in § 60.482-1(g) of this subpart until the EPA takes final action to require compliance and publishes a document in the Federal Register. While the definition of “process unit” is stayed, owners or operators should use the following definition:
Process unit means components assembled to produce, as intermediate or final products, one or more of the chemicals listed in § 60.489 of this part. A process unit can operate independently if supplied with sufficient feed or raw materials and sufficient storage facilities for the product.
Title 40 published on 2015-07-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 40 CFR Part 60 after this date.