40 CFR 60.53c - Operator training and qualification requirements.
(a) No owner or operator of an affected facility shall allow the affected facility to operate at any time unless a fully trained and qualified HMIWI operator is accessible, either at the facility or available within 1 hour. The trained and qualified HMIWI operator may operate the HMIWI directly or be the direct supervisor of one or more HMIWI operators.
(c) Training shall be obtained by completing an HMIWI operator training course that includes, at a minimum, the following provisions:
(1) 24 hours of training on the following subjects:
(i) Environmental concerns, including pathogen destruction and types of emissions;
(ii) Basic combustion principles, including products of combustion;
(iv) Combustion controls and monitoring;
(v) Operation of air pollution control equipment and factors affecting performance (if applicable);
(vi) Methods to monitor pollutants (continuous emission monitoring systems and monitoring of HMIWI and air pollution control device operating parameters) and equipment calibration procedures (where applicable);
(vii) Inspection and maintenance of the HMIWI, air pollution control devices, and continuous emission monitoring systems;
(ix) Bottom and fly ash characteristics and handling procedures;
(x) Applicable Federal, State, and local regulations;
(xi) Work safety procedures;
(xii) Pre-startup inspections; and
(xiii) Recordkeeping requirements.
(2) An examination designed and administered by the instructor.
(3) Reference material distributed to the attendees covering the course topics.
(d) Qualification shall be obtained by:
(1) Completion of a training course that satisfies the criteria under paragraph (c) of this section; and
(2) Either 6 months experience as an HMIWI operator, 6 months experience as a direct supervisor of an HMIWI operator, or completion of at least two burn cycles under the observation of two qualified HMIWI operators.
(e) Qualification is valid from the date on which the examination is passed or the completion of the required experience, whichever is later.
(f) To maintain qualification, the trained and qualified HMIWI operator shall complete and pass an annual review or refresher course of at least 4 hours covering, at a minimum, the following:
(1) Update of regulations;
(3) Inspection and maintenance;
(5) Discussion of operating problems encountered by attendees.
(g) A lapsed qualification shall be renewed by one of the following methods:
(1) Summary of the applicable standards under this subpart;
(2) Description of basic combustion theory applicable to an HMIWI;
(3) Procedures for receiving, handling, and charging waste;
(5) Procedures for maintaining proper combustion air supply levels;
(6) Procedures for operating the HMIWI and associated air pollution control systems within the standards established under this subpart;
(8) Procedures for monitoring HMIWI emissions;
(9) Reporting and recordkeeping procedures; and
(10) Procedures for handling ash.
(i) The owner or operator of an affected facility shall establish a program for reviewing the information listed in paragraph (h) of this section annually with each HMIWI operator (defined in § 60.51c).
(1) The initial review of the information listed in paragraph (h) of this section shall be conducted within 6 months after the effective date of this subpart or prior to assumption of responsibilities affecting HMIWI operation, whichever date is later.
(2) Subsequent reviews of the information listed in paragraph (h) of this section shall be conducted annually.
(j) The information listed in paragraph (h) of this section shall be kept in a readily accessible location for all HMIWI operators. This information, along with records of training shall be available for inspection by the EPA or its delegated enforcement agent upon request.
Title 40 published on 2015-08-22
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 40 CFR Part 60 after this date.