§ 600.006-86Data and information requirements for fuel economy vehicles.
(a) For certification vehicles with less than 10,000 miles, the requirements of this section are considered to have been met except as noted in paragraph (c) of this section.
(1) The manufacturer shall submit the following information for each fuel economy data vehicle:
(i) A description of the vehicle, exhaust emission test results, applicable deterioration factors, and adjusted exhaust emission levels.
(ii) A statement of the origin of the vehicle including total mileage accumulation, and modifications (if any) from the vehicle configuration in which the mileage was accumulated. (For modifications requiring advance approval by the Administrator, the name of the Administrator's representative approving the modification and date of approval are required.) If the vehicle was previously used for testing for compliance with part 86 of this chapter or previously accepted by the Administrator as a fuel economy data vehicle in a different configuration, the requirements of this paragraph may be satisfied by reference to the vehicle number and previous configuration.
(iii) A statement that the fuel economy data vehicle, with respect to which data are submitted:
(A) Has been tested in accordance with applicable test procedures,
(B) Is, to the best of the manufacturer's knowledge, representative of the vehicle configuration listed, and
(C) Is in compliance with the applicable exhaust emission standards.
(2) The manufacturer shall retain the following information for each fuel economy data vehicle, and make it available to the Administrator upon request:
(i) A description of all maintenance to engine, emission control system, or fuel system components performed within 2,000 miles prior to fuel economy testing.
(ii) In the case of electric vehicles, the manufacturer should provide a description of all maintenance to electric motor, motor controller, battery configuration, or other components performed within 2,000 miles prior to fuel economy testing.
(iii) A copy of calibrations for engine, fuel system, and emission control devices, showing the calibration of the actual components on the test vehicle as well as the design tolerances.
(iv) In the case of electric vehicles, the manufacturer should provide a copy of calibrations for the electric motor, motor controller, battery configuration, or other components on the test vehicle as well as the design tolerances.
(v) If calibrations for components in paragraph (b) of this section were submitted previously as part of the description of another vehicle or configuration, the original submittal may be referenced.
(c) The manufacturer shall submit the following fuel economy data:
(1) For vehicles tested to meet the requirements of part 86 (other than those chosen in accordance with § 86.084-24 (c) and (h)), the city and highway fuel economy results from all tests on that vehicle, and the test results adjusted in accordance with paragraph (g) of this section.
(2) For each fuel economy data vehicle, all individual test results (excluding results of invalid and zero mile tests) and, if the data are used in fuel economy label calculations, the test results adjusted in accordance with paragraph (g) of this section.
(d) The manufacturer shall submit an indication of the intended purpose of the data (e.g., data required by the general labeling program or voluntarily submitted for specific labeling).
(e) In lieu of submitting actual data from a test vehicle, a manufacturer may provide fuel economy values derived from an analytical expression, e.g., regression analysis. In order for fuel economy values derived from analytical methods to be accepted, the expression (form and coefficients) must have been approved by the Administrator.
(f) If, in conducting tests required or authorized by this part, the manufacturer utilizes procedures, equipment, or facilities not described in the Application for Certification required in § 86.084-21, the manufacturer shall submit to the Administrator a description of such procedures, equipment, and facilities.
(1) The manufacturer shall adjust all test data used for fuel economy label calculations generated by vehicles with engine-drive system combinations with more than 6,200 miles by using the following equation:
FE4,000mi=FET [0.979 5.25×10−6(mi)]−1
FE4,000mi=Fuel economy data adjusted to 4,000-mile test point rounded to the nearest 0.1 mpg.
FET=Tested fuel economy value rounded to the nearest 0.1 mpg.
mi=System miles accumulated at the start of the test rounded to the nearest whole mile.
(2) For vehicles with 6,200 miles (10,000 kilometers) or less accumulated, the manufacturer is not required to adjust the data.
[49 FR 13848, Apr. 6, 1984, as amended at 50 FR 27185, July 1, 1985]
Beta! The text on the eCFR tab represents the unofficial eCFR text at ecfr.gov.
This section’s status may have changed. It may have been renumbered, reserved, or removed.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.