§ 600.006-89Data and information requirements for fuel economy vehicles.
(a) For certification vehicles with less than 10,000 miles, the requirements of this section are considered to have been met except as noted in paragraph (c) of this section.
(1) The manufacturer shall submit the following information for each fuel economy data vehicle:
(i) A description of the vehicle, exhaust emission test results, applicable deterioration factors, adjusted exhaust emission levels, and test fuel property values as specified in § 600.113-93 except as specified in paragraph (h) of this section.
(ii) A statement of the origin of the vehicle including total mileage accumulation, and modification (if any) form the vehicle configuration in which the mileage was accumulated. (For modifications requiring advance approval by the Administrator, the name of the Administrator's representative approving the modification and date of approval are required.) If the vehicle was previously used for testing for compliance with part 86 of this chapter or previously accepted by the Administrator as a fuel economy data vehicle in a different configuration, the requirements of this paragraph may be satisfied by reference to the vehicle number and previous configuration.
(iii) A statement that the fuel economy data vehicle, with respect to which data are submitted:
(A) Has been tested in accordance with applicable test procedures,
(B) Is, to the best of the manufacturer's knowledge, representative of the vehicle configuration listed, and
(C) Is in compliance with applicable exhaust emission standards.
(2) The manufacturer shall retain the following information for each fuel economy data vehicle, and make it available to the Administrator upon request:
(i) A description of all maintenance to engine, emission control system, or fuel system, or fuel system components performed within 2,000 miles prior to fuel economy testing.
(ii) In the case of electric vehicles, a description of all maintenance to electric motor, motor controller, battery configuration, or other components performed within 2,000 miles prior to fuel economy testing.
(iii) A copy of calibrations for engine, fuel system, and emission control devices, showing the calibration of the actual components on the test vehicle as well as the design tolerances.
(iv) In the case of electric vehicles, a copy of calibrations for the electric motor, motor controller, battery configuration, or other components on the test vehicle as well as the design tolerances.
(v) If calibrations for components specified in paragraph (b)(2) (iii) or (iv) of this section were submitted previously as part of the description of another vehicle or configuration, the original submittal may be referenced.
(c) The manufacturer shall submit the following fuel economy data:
(1) For vehicles tested to meet the requirements of 40 CFR part 86 (other than those chosen in accordance with 40 CFR 86.1829-01(a) or CFR 86.1844-01), the city and highway fuel economy results from all tests on that vehicle, and the test results adjusted in accordance with paragraph (g) of this section.
(2) For each fuel economy data vehicle, all individual test results (excluding results of invalid and zero mile tests) and these test results adjusted in accordance with paragraph (g) of this section.
(d) The manufacturer shall submit an indication of the intended purpose of the data (e.g., data required by the general labeling program or voluntarily submitted for specific labeling).
(e) In lieu of submitting actual data from a test vehicle, a manufacturer may provide fuel economy values derived from an analytical expression, e.g., regression analysis. In order for fuel economy values derived from analytical methods to be accepted, the expression (form and coefficients) must have been approved by the Administrator.
(f) If, in conducting tests required or authorized by this part, the manufacturer utilizes procedures, equipment, or facilities not described in the Application for Certification required in 40 CFR 86.087-21 or CFR 86.1844-01 as applicable, the manufacturer shall submit to the Administrator a description of such procedures, equipment, and facilities.
(1) The manufacturer shall adjust all test data used for fuel economy label calculations in subpart D and average fuel economy calculations in subpart F for the classes of automobiles within the categories identified in paragraphs (a)(1) through (6) of § 600.510. The test data shall be adjusted in accordance with paragraph (g) (3) or (4) as applicable.
(3) The manufacturer shall adjust all test data generated by vehicles with engine-drive system combinations with more than 6,200 miles by using the following equation:
FE4,000mi=FET[0.979 5.25×10−6 (mi)]−1
FE4,000mi=Fuel economy data adjusted to 4,000-mile test point rounded to the nearest 0.1 mpg.
FET=Tested fuel economy value rounded to the nearest 0.1 mpg.
mi=System miles accumulated at the start of the test rounded to the nearest whole mile.
(4) For vehicles with 6,200 miles or less accumulated, the manufacturer is not required to adjust the data.
(h) For light-duty fuel economy trucks over 6000 lbs GVWR, the manufacturer must submit emissions data generated while using the following test weight basis:
(1) Adjusted Loaded Vehicle Weight (ALVW) as defined in § 86.094-2 of this chapter; or
(2) Loaded Vehicle Weight (LVW) as defined in § 86.082-2 of this chapter, in which case the Administrator reserves the right to either require the manufacturer to test using ALVW and submit the data or submit the vehicle for testing by the Administrator for emission standards compliance.
[51 FR 37850, Oct. 24, 1986, as amended at 59 FR 39652, Aug. 3, 1994; 64 FR 23973, May 4, 1999]
Title 40 published on 2014-07-01.
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 40.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.