40 CFR 63.1546 - Performance testing.
(a) The following procedures must be used to determine quarterly compliance with the emissions standard for lead compounds under § 63.1543(a) and (b) for existing sources:
(1) Each owner or operator of existing sources listed in § 63.1543(a)(1) through (9) and (b) must determine the lead compound emissions rate, in units of pounds of lead per hour according to the following test methods in appendix A of part 60 of this chapter:
(i) Method 1 must be used to select the sampling port location and the number of traverse points.
(ii) Method 2, 2F, 2G must be used to measure volumetric flow rate.
(iii) Method 3, 3A, 3B must be used for gas analysis.
(iv) Method 4 must be used to determine moisture content of the stack gas.
(v) Method 12 or Method 29 must be used to determine lead emissions rate of the stack gas.
(2) A performance test shall consist of at least three runs. For each test run with Method 12 or Method 29, the minimum sample time must be 60 minutes and the minimum volume must be 1 dry standard cubic meter (35 dry standard cubic feet).
(3) Performance tests shall be completed quarterly, once every 3 months, to determine compliance.
(4) The lead emission rate in pounds per quarter is calculated by multiplying the quarterly lead emission rate in pounds per hour by the quarterly plant operating time, in hours as shown in Equation 1:View or download PDF
(5) The lead production rate, in units of tons per quarter, must be determined based on production data for the previous quarter according to the procedures detailed in paragraphs (a)(5)(i) through (iv) of this section:
(i) Total lead products production multiplied by the fractional lead content must be determined in units of tons.
(ii) Total copper matte production multiplied by the fractional lead content must be determined in units of tons.
(iii) Total copper speiss production multiplied by the fractional lead content must be determined in units of tons.
(iv) Total quarterly lead production must be determined by summing the values obtained in paragraphs (a)(5)(i) through (iii) of this section.
(6) To determine compliance with the production-based lead compound emission rate in § 63.1543(a), the quarterly production-based lead compound emission rate, in units of pounds of lead emissions per ton of lead produced, is calculated as shown in Equation 2 by dividing lead emissions by lead production.View or download PDF
(7) To determine quarterly compliance with the emissions standard for lead compounds under § 63.1543(b), sum the lead compound emission rates for the current and previous three quarters for the sources in § 63.1543(b), as determined in accordance with paragraphs (a)(1) through (4) of this section.
(b) Owners and operators must perform an initial compliance test to demonstrate compliance with the sinter building in-draft requirements of § 63.1543(d) at each doorway opening in accordance with paragraphs (b)(1) through (4) of this section.
(1) Use a propeller anemometer or equivalent device.
(2) Determine doorway in-draft by placing the anemometer in the plane of the doorway opening near its center.
(3) Determine doorway in-draft for each doorway that is open during normal operation with all remaining doorways in their customary position during normal operation.
(4) Do not determine doorway in-draft when ambient wind speed exceeds 2 meters per second.
(c) Performance tests shall be conducted under such conditions as the Administrator specifies to the owner or operator based on representative performance of the affected source for the period being tested. Upon request, the owner or operator shall make available to the Administrator such records as may be necessary to determine the conditions of performance tests.
Title 40 published on 2015-07-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 40 CFR Part 63 after this date.