40 CFR 63.7944 - How do I determine the maximum HAP vapor pressure of my remediation material?
(a) You must determine the maximum HAP vapor pressure of your remediation material using either direct measurement as specified in paragraph (b) of this section or by knowledge as specified in paragraph (c) of this section.
(b) Direct measurement to determine the maximum HAP vapor pressure.
(1) Sampling. A sufficient number of samples must be collected to be representative of the remediation material contained in the tank. All samples must be collected and handled according to written procedures prepared by you and documented in a site sampling plan. This plan must describe the procedure by which representative samples of the remediation material are collected such that a minimum loss of organics occurs throughout the sample collection and handling process and by which sample integrity is maintained. A copy of the written sampling plan must be maintained on site in the facility site operating records. An example of an acceptable sampling plan includes a plan incorporating sample collection and handling procedures according to the guidance found in “Test Methods for Evaluating Solid Waste, Physical/Chemical Methods,” EPA Publication No. SW-846 or Method 25D in 40 CFR part 60, appendix A.
(i) Method 25E in 40 CFR part 60 appendix A;
(iii) Methods obtained from standard reference texts;
(iv) ASTM Method 2879-83; or
(v) Any other method approved by the Administrator.
(c) Use of knowledge to determine the maximum HAP vapor pressure. Documentation must be prepared and recorded that presents the information used as the basis for your knowledge that the maximum HAP vapor pressure of the remediation material is less than the maximum vapor pressure limit listed in Table 2 of this subpart for the applicable tank design capacity category.
(d) In the event that you and us disagree on a determination using knowledge of the maximum HAP vapor pressure of the remediation material, then the results from a determination of maximum HAP vapor pressure using direct measurement by Method 25E in 40 CFR part 60 appendix A, as specified in paragraph (b) of this section, will be used to determine compliance with the applicable requirements of this subpart. We may perform or request that you perform this determination using direct measurement.
- 40 CFR 63.7957 — What Definitions Apply to This Subpart?
- 40 CFR 63.7896 — How Do I Demonstrate Initial Compliance With the Emissions Limitations and Work Practice Standards for Tanks?
- 40 CFR 63.7895 — What Emissions Limitations and Work Practice Standards Must I Meet for Tanks?
- 40 CFR 63.7898 — How Do I Demonstrate Continuous Compliance With the Emissions Limitations and Work Practice Standards for Tanks?