40 CFR 63.9322 - How do I determine the emission capture system efficiency?
(a)Assuming 100 percent capture efficiency. You may assume the capture system efficiency is 100 percent if both conditions in paragraphs (a)(1) and (2) of this section are met:
(2) All engine test operations creating exhaust gases for which the test is applicable are conducted within the capture system.
(b)Measuring capture efficiency. If the capture system does not meet the criteria in paragraphs (a)(1) and (2) of this section, then you must use one of the two protocols described in paragraphs (c) and (d) of this section to measure capture efficiency. The capture efficiency measurements use total volatile hydrocarbon (TVH) capture efficiency as a surrogate for organic HAP capture efficiency. For the protocol in paragraph (c) of this section, the capture efficiency measurement must consist of three test runs. Each test run must be at least 3 hours in duration or the length of a production run, whichever is longer, up to 8 hours. For the purposes of this test, a production run means the time required for a single engine test to go from the beginning to the end.
(c)Gas-to-gas protocol using a temporary total enclosure or a building enclosure. The gas-to-gas protocol compares the mass of TVH emissions captured by the emission capture system to the mass of TVH emissions not captured. Use a temporary total enclosure or a building enclosure and the procedures in paragraphs (c)(1) through (5) of this section to measure emission capture system efficiency using the gas-to-gas protocol.
(1) Either use a building enclosure or construct an enclosure around the engine test cell/stand and all areas where emissions from the engine testing subsequently occur. The enclosure must meet the applicable definition of a temporary total enclosure or building enclosure in Method 204 of appendix M to 40 CFR part 51.
(2) Use Method 204B or 204C of appendix M to 40 CFR part 51 to measure the total mass, kg, of TVH emissions captured by the emission capture system during each capture efficiency test run as measured at the inlet to the add-on control device. To make the measurement, substitute TVH for each occurrence of the term VOC in the methods.
(i) The sampling points for the Method 204B or 204C of appendix M to 40 CFR part 51 measurement must be upstream from the add-on control device and must represent total emissions routed from the capture system and entering the add-on control device.
(ii) If multiple emission streams from the capture system enter the add-on control device without a single common duct, then the emissions entering the add-on control device must be simultaneously measured in each duct, and the total emissions entering the add-on control device must be determined.
(3) Use Method 204D or 204E of appendix M to 40 CFR part 51 to measure the total mass, kg, of TVH emissions that are not captured by the emission capture system; they are measured as they exit the temporary total enclosure or building enclosure during each capture efficiency test run. To make the measurement, substitute TVH for each occurrence of the term VOC in the methods.
(i) Use Method 204D of appendix M to 40 CFR part 51 if the enclosure is a temporary total enclosure.
(ii) Use Method 204E of appendix M to 40 CFR part 51 if the enclosure is a building enclosure. During the capture efficiency measurement, all organic compound emitting operations inside the building enclosure, other than the engine test cell/stand operation for which capture efficiency is being determined, must be shut down, but all fans and blowers must be operating normally.
(4) For each capture efficiency test run, determine the percent capture efficiency of the emission capture system using Equation 1 of this section:
(5) Determine the capture efficiency the emission capture system as the average of the capture efficiencies measured in the three test runs.
(d)Alternative capture efficiency protocol. As an alternative to the procedure specified in paragraph (c) of this section, you may determine capture efficiency using any other capture efficiency protocol and test methods that satisfy the criteria of either the data quality objective or lower control limit approach as described in appendix A to subpart KK of this part.
Title 40 published on 2015-08-22
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 40 CFR Part 63 after this date.